15" Intel-Based MBP Right Fan Not Reading

Reaction score
Hello MAC Users,

I've been having trouble with the proper fan readings of my MBP. I'm certain MBP's have two fans, and I've gone through several programs including; fan control 1.2, istat menu and pro widget with the same turnout.....the left fan reads fine whereas the right fan doesn't show any rpm readings at all. I'm currently using smcfancontrol ver. 2.2.2 with the same result. I've had this laptop for four months so its fairly new, and i'm beginning to think it might be a hardware issue. Luckily I've invested in Applecare.

Any expert advice will help. Thank you dearly in advance!!!

MBP specs: 15" MBP(aluminum unibody) , 2.5 GHz, 4 GB, 9400m, 250 HD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine has two fans: CPU and Hard Drive.

As your MBP is still under warranty, make an appointment with the genius bar at your local Apple store and take it on in for them to look at.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
UPDATE!! UPDATE!! Frustrated Mac User,

So I went in and got my right fan repaired. I still get no readings from the following programs: smcfancontrol 2.2.2 and Fancontrol 1.2. and istat pro. Also, I did the application install hardware cd test with 'no problems'.

The only explanation is apple didn't do their job properly, or the software is faulty. Any suggestions on what I can do before I go back and ***** at Apple?

Thanks guys in advance!!

Specs: 15" MBP(aluminum unibody) , 2.5 GHz, 4 GB, 9400m, 250 HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Both fan control and SMC fan control should be showing you that both fans are running.
I'd take it back to Genius and have them show you that they are both running before taking it back off them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Another UPDATE!!,

So I went back to genius bar, and they claimed that I had only one fan for my model. I was under the impression MacBook Pro's came with two fans, but he stated that my model is the base model, 2.53 GHz, compared to the other models with higher core processor, 2.6 and 2.8 GHz. It made sense on his end given that they may run hotter with the 9600GT GPU compared to my model. If what the employee said was true, than all this worrying was for nothing.

If the employee was wrong, then I'll come in for another visit with proof. Thank you Chscag and 6string for all your help.

Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4G DDRam, 9400m, 250HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apparently this is true if yours is the MBP with the SD slot.

Glad it's resolved, but I am curious about what they repaired in your first visit to genius bar!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apparently this is true if yours is the MBP with the SD slot.

Glad it's resolved, but I am curious about what they repaired in your first visit to genius bar!

It's true the low end MBP 13" model has only one fan similar to the MacBook. However, like you I too am curious as to what they did the first time he visited the store?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
All of them without a dedicated video card have 1 fan .

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey guys,

To answer your question, I guess they replaced the one fan I had. When I went in to get it repaired, I showed them the rpm readings from istatpro widget and fan control saying that my "right fan" is not showing rpm readings. Either the employee was as ignorant as I was , or I he thought I was talking about the one fan my MBP had. Then again, when I went in the second time, I went to another apple store location with a different result. So, it may be the employee didn't know as much as I did the first time I visited, otherwise he would have told me upfront.

First visit; palo alto apple store

Second visit; oakridge, san jose apple store

In all, no more worrying. Thanks again guys.

Specs; 15" MBP, 2.53GHz, 4G DDRam, 9400m, 250 HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You may want to see if you have the latest istat pro version and not sure smc fan control
is fully supported in the new laptops or at least when I ported over all my files and settings from my old MBP thats what it said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.