Droid or Iphone?

Reaction score
I dont know if there are alot of these threads...but I'm trying to make a a decision so anyone's advice would be great.

Right now I'm deciding between getting the droid or the iphone. I'm an apple user so it would be nice to stay with the same company for phone because of ease-of-use purpose. However I like the open source aspect of the droid and the use of google's GPS.

I do not use the phone as an actual phone that much. Live in Boston, MA if that matters. Heres what I'm looking for:

- GPS. The biggest for me. Want to be able to use GPS to get around both walking and driving. Also use it to find business and such. Want to also use it while driving as a normal turn by turn GPS system.

- Internet. This would be another big use for me. Fast speed of internet is nice, but I think both phones are almost about the same.

- Music player. Be nice if I could stream my music from my mac from anywhere and use sites like pandora while commuting/driving and going to gym.

- Texting. texting with other people whether that is using something like aim or phone text. Don't know much about this though.

- voice recorder. I want to quickly be able to whip out the phone and record voice memos. Use this every day almost.

- Camera/Video. I don't have a digital camera so it would be nice to for it to take decent pictures of stuff.

I'm on verizon, so I would need to cancel my current phone (would be around $170 fee). Is it worth it? Thats pretty much the price of a droid. Altho if the iphone is really a much better fit then I wouldn't mind to much.

So any suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I know a lot of folks have been impressed with the Droid and are happy with Verizon. While the OS looks really nice, the hardware seems to be the issue as a lot of it seems pretty cheap.

Bottom line is, Droid is new, iPhone is established. Take your pick.

Good one Clay!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Having seen the iPhone in action on "the nation's fastest 3G network", I'm not sure that I would go with an AT&T iPhone. If it was on Verizon, that might be different. In this area, Verizon's EVDO rev.b network is pretty amazing. It may not be the fastest on paper, but in practice on laptops (even older models that don't rival the iPhone in processing power), EVDO just seems speedier.

The Droid's hardware is somewhat clunky. The OS is good, but the iPhone's is still more intuitive and more responsive in my informal tests.

In my opinion, it's a tough call, but when it comes down to the basics of what a good cell phone should do, I think the Droid wins. Call quality, speed of web browsing/downloads, etc seem to trump the iPhone, even though the iPhone is superior in terms of hardware and OS. Again, this is just my opinion. And if the iPhone ever shows up on Verizon, my opinion would almost certainly change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Visit lmgtfy.com

yep and I can take no credit .... I am pretty sure it was CWA who showed it to me after I asked him about it on irc one night.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Having seen the iPhone in action on "the nation's fastest 3G network", I'm not sure that I would go with an AT&T iPhone. If it was on Verizon, that might be different. In this area, Verizon's EVDO rev.b network is pretty amazing. It may not be the fastest on paper, but in practice on laptops (even older models that don't rival the iPhone in processing power), EVDO just seems speedier.

The Droid's hardware is somewhat clunky. The OS is good, but the iPhone's is still more intuitive and more responsive in my informal tests.

In my opinion, it's a tough call, but when it comes down to the basics of what a good cell phone should do, I think the Droid wins. Call quality, speed of web browsing/downloads, etc seem to trump the iPhone, even though the iPhone is superior in terms of hardware and OS. Again, this is just my opinion. And if the iPhone ever shows up on Verizon, my opinion would almost certainly change.

I don't disagree, but I think it depends on where you live. Here in SoCal Verizons EVDO network was butt slow, not that AT&Ts EDGE is much better mind you. 3G here is pretty darn good but AT&T simply has issues with dropped calls across the board. I have run into occasions where talking on the iPhone AND searching the web on the iPhone simultaneously has come in handy though.

I suggest the OP talk to folks in his area to find out what the services are like locally.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't disagree, but I think it depends on where you live. Here in SoCal Verizons EVDO network was butt slow, not that AT&Ts EDGE is much better mind you. 3G here is pretty darn good but AT&T simply has issues with dropped calls across the board. I have run into occasions where talking on the iPhone AND searching the web on the iPhone simultaneously has come in handy though.

I suggest the OP talk to folks in his area to find out what the services are like locally.

You're absolutely right, it does vary by region. For some reason, Verizon seems to have the most solid network here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I love my iPhone, but I am attracted to the Droid for a variety of geeky reasons. My only real issue with the Droid is the hardware/keyboard seems to need a bit more polish. I thought I read somewhere that the Droid v2 handset will be sans-keyboard, so I'll hang on to my iPhone for now. In my opinion, NO telephone is worth having to pay $170 to stop using another telephone. My wife and I have pretty much decided that when our AT&T contracts expire in 12-2010, we are going with unlocked phones, whatever is best at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Going droid then back to the new iPhone next summer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.