Help Ive Lost Everything!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
right before i throw my PB out the window i hope that you can help me.

Safari said that it cant find a key chain so asked me if i wanted to reset it so i did.

Dad like an idiot turned my machine off ive just rebooted it now and everything was reset like the dock and my home space.

I can see any of my stuff in documents, music etc...........

where the **** has it gone

OP
inflexion
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right been playin around and its all happened since i changed the name of my homespace from matthewayres to inflexion now it all gone **** up :|

question is WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If i understand this right. You shot your self in the foot, so you can not blame your dad for your injury.

It sound that you changed the name of your home folder from matthewayres to inflexion. That is when you put your system into shock. The rebooting of your system, just showed you that you have created a major problem.

You will need to change the name of the home folder from inflexion back to matthewayres. This should resolve your problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Now as what cause the problem. The user account that you were using I gather was matthewayres. When you created the account a direcory/folder was created and called matthewayres. So in this unix environment the log in user account is tied to the users account home directory/folder in this case matthewayres. When you change the home folder to inflexion. The system lost the connection with the user account and the home folder. After the system was rebooted the user account could not find it home folder. The system automatically placed you in the root directory, which you do not have write permission too.

OP
inflexion
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea more or less it just made a new home folder called matthewayres.

i just renamed my new one to something random then the real one back to what it was so paddy over and my dummy is back in :p

was just puzzled cause i thought that it would recognise the name change oh well guess even macs arent that good :eek: ;)

Reaction score
heh, i did the same thing as you and freaked out when i didnt see any of my stuff..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.