Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just purchased a Belkin 2.0 USB hub from Amazon.com and have installed it in a free PCI slot in my Quicksilver 2002.

Now, everything seems to work okay, but I'm not 100% sure that the Mac is seeing this as a USB 2.0 card, because when I plug in my iPod nano (for example) it doesn't get recognized at all, but as soon as I plug it in to one of the on-board 1.1 slots, it shows up on my desktop.

When I plug my keyboard and mouse into the USB 2.0 card, they work as they should, so the card's functioning, but I'm not sure whether it's being seen as a 2.0 or 1.1 device. The packaging states that it's compatible with Mac OS 8.6 and above, with support for USB under 10.2.7 and later.

I'm using Tiger 10.4.11

I've attached a screenshot from System Profiler to show how it comes up.

Many thanks.

Profiler.png

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Okay, I have got it to work now :D

Basically, I just powered down the G4 and put the PCI card in the first slot next to the graphics card and when I rebooted, it was detected correctly.

Below is a revised screenie from System Profiler, showing the card working. :)

Attachments

• Profiler 2.png
    Profiler 2.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is working fine Rottie. Pic one is what appears when the card is idle but available and obviously pic two when your iPod is connected to the USB2 port.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
It is working fine Rottie. Pic one is what appears when the card is idle but available and obviously pic two when your iPod is connected to the USB2 port.

Hi Harry,

Yep, that's as I thought. What is wierd, though, is that when I had the card in slot 2, 3 or 4, it would show up as in pic 1, but as soon as I attached any USB device, then it wouldn't recognize them. Putting the card in slot 1 (immediately next to the graphics card) has cured this issue, though.

In case anyone wants to know, the card is a Belkin F5U200, and is available from amazon.com for £9.55 delivered, via this link :)
Oh and as far as I can tell, it doesn't suffer the "Deep sleep" issue that some cards had trouble with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.