OS X Wont Load!! HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook :: Unibody:250Gb HD:4Gb RAM | iPhone 3G :: 8Gb :: Jailbroken
So I've got an old PowerMac G4 (actually it's my church's..but whatever). They were having problems with it, so my first idea was to wipe everything and reinstall Tiger. Done. Or so I thought. Whenever I start up, it just sits on the gray screen for a while, then says something to the effect of "You must restart the computer. Hold down the power button for a few seconds until the screen turns blank".

I've tried multiple harddisks and have installed tiger on about 4 different ones now, but none will ever load after installation. Any Ideas? Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
Dear thelostchinese,

As an individual raised in the Age of Multiculturalism (the 90's) and well studied in national and ethnic sociocultural identity here in the US and abroad, particularly SE Asia. Might I suggest you would find greater and more willing assistance in all matters and in any venue of life if you did not advertise (or hyperlink) your own battle with temperamental development with the use of such phrases as "Check out this weird black dude" on your website

Thank You

OP
thelostchinese
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook :: Unibody:250Gb HD:4Gb RAM | iPhone 3G :: 8Gb :: Jailbroken
Dear thelostchinese,

As an individual raised in the Age of Multiculturalism (the 90's) and well studied in national and ethnic sociocultural identity here in the US and abroad, particularly SE Asia. Might I suggest you would find greater and more willing assistance in all matters and in any venue of life if you did not advertise (or hyperlink) your own battle with temperamental development with the use of such phrases as "Check out this weird black dude" on your website

Thank You

...That has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. If you don't want to help my with my problem because of it, then simply don't. If you have a problem with the website, it should be handled by emailing the web-admin of the website.

Furthermore, "weird" and "black" are not derogatory terms and therefore I have no reason to remove them. If there is any doubt that the man was in fact black, maybe, but I'm sure anyone would agree that he is. The term weird is my opinion of him, and since it is not racist or hurtful, I have the right to use it.

Lastly, the website is only a side project. If I get a few hundred hits, awesome. If I get only get one, no big deal. If you don'y like what I say, then don't visit it. I'm not trying to increase traffic, just giving people a better idea of who I am by giving them another way to contact me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So I've got an old PowerMac G4 (actually it's my church's..but whatever). They were having problems with it, so my first idea was to wipe everything and reinstall Tiger. Done. Or so I thought. Whenever I start up, it just sits on the gray screen for a while, then says something to the effect of "You must restart the computer. Hold down the power button for a few seconds until the screen turns blank".

I've tried multiple harddisks and have installed tiger on about 4 different ones now, but none will ever load after installation. Any Ideas? Please help

Have you tried to boot it from the original install disk and run the Apple hardware test?

It sounds like you have a bad logic board. If it is, it should show up with the hardware test. If it turns out to be a bad board, a new hard drive nor reinstallation of Tiger is going to fix it. With a machine that old it may be best to retire it and have your church buy a new one instead. Replacing the logic board would cost more than the machine is worth.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...That has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. If you don't want to help my with my problem because of it, then simply don't. If you have a problem with the website, it should be handled by emailing the web-admin of the website.

Furthermore, "weird" and "black" are not derogatory terms and therefore I have no reason to remove them. If there is any doubt that the man was in fact black, maybe, but I'm sure anyone would agree that he is. The term weird is my opinion of him, and since it is not racist or hurtful, I have the right to use it.

Lastly, the website is only a side project. If I get a few hundred hits, awesome. If I get only get one, no big deal. If you don'y like what I say, then don't visit it. I'm not trying to increase traffic, just giving people a better idea of who I am by giving them another way to contact me.

Speaking of relevance, why is it relevant that the "weird dude" is African-American? By using that adjective, in conjunction with "weird", I can certainly see why FasterPussyCat is offended. I went ahead and removed the URL from your sig. Until you make your blog a little more PC, please don't link to it in your sig or otherwise. As is clearly stated in our Community Guidelines:

Play nice.
Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

Post appropriately.
This is a community of all types of people. Don’t use profanity, including masked words, or post anything that’s lewd or inappropriate for a large community. If you wouldn’t see it in a Disney movie, don’t post it here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.