sleep while installing?

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently bought a mac about 2 weeks ago and well yesterday after a crash and after a hard reboot and waiting, the system did not boot annymore. Since i have all my data on shares i was like hey lets careless reinstall the OS, and so i did. put in the OSX disc, format the drive, install system without printer support and without annything more then english and dutch. Perfect

Then it started installing and well, i come back i see my screen is black i touch my mousepad. And yes indead, installation failed (something with the ram allocation) so i careless try again and stay at the computer now. THE ****ED THING GOES TO SLEEP WHILE INSTALLING? AND THEN FAILS TO INSTALL? man even ubuntu does better then that -_-

so, should i stay at the computer the full install just so that the ****ed thing aint going to sleep? annyone else had this? Its ****ED annoying.

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently bought a mac about 2 weeks ago and well yesterday after a crash and after a hard reboot and waiting, the system did not boot annymore. Since i have all my data on shares i was like hey lets careless reinstall the OS, and so i did. put in the OSX disc, format the drive, install system without printer support and without annything more then english and dutch. Perfect

Then it started installing and well, i come back i see my screen is black i touch my mousepad. And yes indead, installation failed (something with the ram allocation) so i careless try again and stay at the computer now. THE ****ED THING GOES TO SLEEP WHILE INSTALLING? AND THEN FAILS TO INSTALL? man even ubuntu does better then that -_-so, should i stay at the computer the full install just so that the ****ed thing aint going to sleep? annyone else had this? Its ****ED annoying.

Sounds weird but maybe give this a shot:

Top left of screen. Click apple icon. Click "system preferences". Click "Energy saver".

Move the "Computer sleep" to "never".

Maybe change the "display sleep" time to "never" just for the heck of it.

Perform the install.

Put the settings back to something "reasonable" afterwords tho.

Hope that works. I gotta go to bed.

cheers.

Edit: I'm sure others will chime in on your boot failure. A "crash" is very unusual from what I know. A boot failure after such a crash would be even more unusual. If your machine in new and under warranty maybe take it in and get a replacement. Better to do that than have it happen again after you have gig's of important stuff to lose.

Attachments

• energy saver shot.png
    energy saver shot.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
M
Reaction score
Top left of screen. Click apple icon. Click "system preferences". Click "Energy saver".

I cant actually boot my system, so all i have is the install CD. I cant do annything that does not involve the install DVD, i could not boot so i formated my drive. (i always do that on anny system before i reinstall that it is linux or windows.) i cant remember seeing the option on the install DVD but i might be mistaken.

Reaction score

I cant actually boot my system, so all i have is the install CD. I cant do annything that does not involve the install DVD, i could not boot so i formated my drive. (i always do that on anny system before i reinstall that it is linux or windows.) i cant remember seeing the option on the install DVD but i might be mistaken.

Sorry, I re-read you post and you said something about Ram allocation error.
I'm no expert and just got a mac a couple of months ago but that stuff your describing is not normal. I think you got a lemon. Maybe just the ram is bad but I would get a whole new machine if it were me.

Dont bang your head against the wall if it's under warranty.

You'll be happy as a clam once your up and running.

G'night.

OP
M
Reaction score
well afcourse ram alllocation aint normal :D

But i noticed it only happens when the computer gives me a black screen (sleep) and then comes out of it. Then i always see the error. i dont think it will show if i can keep the computer alive, i was trying to reinstall this night

Parallels crashed while i shut it down, i could not force quit annything, could not log out, could not restart, could not launch command line, all i had was the dock, i did not even have the top bar and after hard rebooting my system did nothing at all... how the **** can 1app crashing take a whole OS with it annyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That happened to me too. I just had to babysit it while it was installing. And move the mouse every so often so it would not sleep while installing 10.6. Cause it did that once and interrupted the install and screwed things up. A pain in the *** to have to watch it but it was the only way for me.

OP
M
Reaction score
That happened to me too. I just had to babysit it while it was installing. And move the mouse every so often so it would not sleep while installing 10.6. Cause it did that once and interrupted the install and screwed things up. A pain in the *** to have to watch it but it was the only way for me.

jeez, thanks for ruining my day ^.^ so i'll just go sit behind the computer when i get home and play with a touchpad for over 30min...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Just set it not to go to sleep while installing. Solved. You do not have to "babysit" it. Goodness, it is as simple as clicking one box. How is Dr. Rockso, Murderface? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.