eMac making noises and will not boot from cd

Reaction score
Hello I am new here and I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. My problem is that whenever i turn on my eMac it will boot once fine. Then when I restart it and try to boot from cd it beeps at me one time for about 1-2 seconds. I don't know why this is. Someone told me that it could be a firmware issue or a drive issue but the cd reads just fine while its running.

Please, Please I need help bad... But really any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

ibnot2brite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. - Try powering on then inserting disk and immediately holding Option key - that will show your options for a usable boot disc. If all u see is the HD as a choice then it is safe to assume that the disk is not the one for your G4.

OP
I
Reaction score
ok i tried that and it still made that 1-2 second beeping noise, then the blinking lights in front. Held option no boot, also before i've tried holding down the "c" key but it still beeps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - do u have access to another Mac? what OS is on the eMac? Do u know what the model is Apple/About this Mac from Menubar? There are steps here you could check out.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok the OS is 10.3.9. The model is the 700mhz one. But now its not turning on at all... Im getting frustrated. But all its doing now is making one beep and thats about it. Actually thats all its doing.

Please help, and thanks for your quick replies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a difficult deal doing this without seeing. the Disc u are using Is it a gray one that is labelled for the G4 eMac? and secondly if you power on and then hold the T key down does it put the Firewire symbol on screen - like this; and when u say beep - do u mean a multiple note chime?

Click for full size

OP
I
Reaction score
No the disc is something that came with it, the guy who sold it to me said this was 10.4, and there are 4 CD's total. And i still cant boot up at all... Its still making the beeping noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the disc still in the machine - if so power it on and hold down mouse button and it should eject the disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will it boot by powering on and holding shift key

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok looks like u may need some hands on help

OP
I
Reaction score
OK!!! I got it turn on!!! What I did was I took out the cmos battery and waited for like 5 minutes, then I held down the shift key and turned it on and it works, but now i'm going to try all those things that you suggested, I will try the t key thing. Then i will try the Command+Option+O+F deal and see if that helps. I will let you know what happens either way, thanks for your help...

ibnot2brite

OP
I
Reaction score
ok now it seems like whenever i take out the cmos battery and push that little button next to the ram, wait 5 minutes, then I DONT PUSH ANYTHING, it will turn on every time. But as soon as i push a key on that keyboard it will not work. Oh and that beep is a single long chime. Then it stops and the light in front blinks forever. Any more help would be terrific, thanks so much again.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hey thanks for your help but I bought a brand new one of those at radioshack like less than a week ago. Would anything else be the problem?

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok well I think that I fixed it. I fell extremely stupid but i think i did finally fix it. What I did is pretty much examine every inch of the eMac and i found that my fan was completely disconnected. I had to re solder on a pin thingy, but its working, I will let you guys know if anything happens else happens to it. Once again thanks for all your help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL those thingys are very annoying and they are built in to all computers. Pleased you got her up and going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.