Pages not opening ms word files!

Reaction score
I just installed iWork & have been using Pages, am able to save documents as .doc, but am unable to open those MS Word files. I checked the "permission" window and it says I can "read and write", yet whenever I try to open the files I get "The document ___ couldn't be opened"

Any ideas? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. First try to get another copy of same file in case it is corrupt. Are you sure it is a Word file? Which are you on Pages 08 or 09. I have had no issue with M$ files importing with P 08 and then later with P 09 so see if u can test with a buddy who also has Pages. How are u opening them? Will they open in Text Edit - wont have any formatting or make sense but will go some way to showing they are readable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
Do you have iWork 08 or 09? With 08 you can import Word but cannot change it to doc/docx , you need 09 for that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In addition to the version question, I have another. I'd like you to clarify what is going on. Here's what I understand: You go into Pages '0x and start with a blank document, then you do a SaveAs and select .doc as the format. Now, you close the file, but when you come back to it later, Pages will not open it. Is that right?

OP
R
Reaction score
Pages problem!

Thanks for your help.
I have Pages 09. No, the files are not corrupted, and can be opened with TextEdit (which i hate having to use). The problem is exactly as you understood: I go into Pages '09 and start with a blank document, then save it as .doc, and when I come back to it later Pages will not open it. Pages will not open ANY .doc file at all, whether created in Pages & saved or created in Word and copied to my computer. This is unusual, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look for a copy of Office 2008. As much as the product is maligned in some quarters it is the best word processor for the Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look for a copy of Office 2008. As much as the product is maligned in some quarters it is the best word processor for the Mac.

Amen to that! I've tried everything from the free "Bean" (which is actually fairly good), iWork08, Open Office, you name it, and always return to MS Office 2008. It just works....

Regards.

Reaction score
Is it snow leopard, my colleague in work had all kinds of problems with microsoft formats on SL until he did a software update which fixed everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
. The problem is exactly as you understood: I go into Pages '09 and start with a blank document, then save it as .doc, and when I come back to it later Pages will not open it. Pages will not open ANY .doc file at all, whether created in Pages & saved or created in Word and copied to my computer. This is unusual, right?

Right. Apple - iWork - Pages - Create beautiful documents in minutes.

Note the claim on the far right, just under the MacBook image.

Perhaps your Pages plist file is damaged.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have 5 Microsoft Word .DOC files open in Pages 09 and not one that would not open. I agree with toMACsh, there is an issue. Maybe the plist.

Not belittling the excellent advise by the other posters, but just stating when no DOC file opens in Pages 09, something is wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.