installing a new internal hard drive

Reaction score
I just purchased a new internal drive for my Macbook and I would rather just install it myself than pay someone. I was wondering if I could simply use time machine to back my computer up on an external drive, swap out the internal drive, then simply fetch the back up on the new drive. Is it that simple? I just want to make sure I can do this before I do it and lose all my info. Thank you anyone that can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If i had to do that then i would do a bootable back of your current HD with SuperDuper, swap your new drive in and then connect Ext HD with bootable back up, power on hold option key and boot of Ext HD then use SD to restore to the new HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone
I would do something very similar to Collin above there, it's really easy to do, cloning your drive takes time, but that does itself. Actually fitting the drive takes about 15 minutes.

I found this tutorial really useful:

YouTube - How to clone and upgrade your hard drive - Super Duper

In fact that guy has done quite a few and they are all pretty good - I'm a visual learner, so watching someone do it really helped.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.