• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FASTEST way to split a video file in half and save as two

Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says.

I have a 1GB (1.5 hr) mp4 file that I need to save as smaller parts. Actually 4 parts, I know the title says "half".

I have Final Cut Studio...and I am a noob with it. I've exported several times in the past, but it was always to specific formats or codecs that people have requested. Many times it was simply to upload to youtube, so it was easy.

I can figure out a way to make this work, but it certainly can't be the best. It either ends up creating a file half the size of the original, even though I cut up and exported a clip 1/4 of the total time, or it takes 20 minutes to create the file. Shouldn't it be able to QUICKLY save a section of the video since I don't want to change ANY of the settings? Just break it into parts?

Gotta be a faster way...

I have to upload this video to a site that requires file size of less than 300 MB.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, if you're not editing the footage per se, maybe you might want to look at another tool like Mpegstreamclip, or if your video file already has chapter marks that are recognizable you could use handbrake...

With mpegstreamclip you can set in and out points and just export a portion of the file - of course, you may have to tweak the settings on the video export screen to find your balance between picture quality and file size, but you should be able to get your file down into smaller pieces without too much pain and suffering.

With handbrake, if you have chapter markers in the file (since handbrake won't allow you to set in and out points based upon time AFAIK), you can create 4 exports from one file based upon chapter markers (ie: chapter 1-2 file 1, 2-3 file 2, 3-4 file 3, etc.) but this would depend on the file having chapter markers. The advantage of this over mpegstreamclip (if you have chapters) is the encoding queue - you can setup all of your exports at once then tell it to run the queue then walk away.

OP
Dante2004
Reaction score
Thanks! I will try those.

And yes, I don't need to do any editing. Basically I ripped a dvd, then I need to divide into four parts for a website.

Don't worry...all legit. The oven of the DVD content is having me do this for his website.

(instructional video)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, if you have the DVD still, and the DVD already has chapter marks in it (so you can skip forward and back and such), you may just want to re-rip with handbrake direct from the source with the chapters set for however many you want per file...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.