The only good thing about Windows 7...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2GB RAM 500GB HD
Is the snipping tool. That's some nifty stuff right there. Does anything similar exist for the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Yes, I admit that is a very, very nice feature. I am going to research if something like that is for Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoa, you're like... super-poster. Thanks for answering dude.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per the list here, you can take four types of screenshots. Three of the four features of that tool are built into OS X.

1. Rectangular Snip: Shift-Command-4. Drag and release. Picture will be on your desktop.
2. Window Snip: Shift-Command-4 and when you see the crosshairs, push Spacebar. Your cursor will turn into a camera. Mouseover the window you want to capture and click. Picture will be on your desktop.
3. Full-screen Snip: Shift-Command-3. If you have a dual monitor setup (as I do), two pictures will be sent to your desktop, one for each monitor.

As for the Free-form snip, there is nothing like that built-in that I know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may have found something...give me a moment...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vansmith, three out of four isn't bad at all. Nice one. FastStone looks pretty good but I think I'll only go for a d/l of that if I find I'm really missing the snipping tool (which, by the way, was my idea). Cheers guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
One feature of Win7 that I loved was side-by-side windows auto-size. I found Cinch and it rocks! Sort of off topic I know, but a great Win7 feature that is now on my Mac. Win7 is not bad, but I think people are mainly stoked because Vista just sucked that bad.

Reaction score
One feature of Win7 that I loved was side-by-side windows auto-size. I found Cinch and it rocks! Sort of off topic I know, but a great Win7 feature that is now on my Mac. Win7 is not bad, but I think people are mainly stoked because Vista just sucked that bad.

I just downloaded it and it is one cool utility!

Thanks for that tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Don't forget Grab. It also comes with OS X.
Applications > Utilities > Grab.

GRAB.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Voila does what you wanted! lol just go look

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's also $30 which is expensive for something to take screenshots when 3/4 of what the snipping tool can do works out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD
There is also an app called Snagit, which I use in a Windows environment, but has recently released a beta version for Mac. It is available for download for a demo/trial period from the manufacturer (TechSmith Corporation).
It is a great utility & I would recommend to anyone looking for a snipping tool with lots of other options.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is also an app called Snagit, which I use in a Windows environment, but has recently released a beta version for Mac. It is available for download for a demo/trial period from the manufacturer (TechSmith Corporation).
It is a great utility & I would recommend to anyone looking for a snipping tool with lots of other options.

I was also a heavy SnagIt user in Windows - but for Mac, I've found that Jing (another Techsmith product) does almost everything that I needed SnagIt for on Windows. The nice thing is that Jing is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD
I was also a heavy SnagIt user in Windows - but for Mac, I've found that Jing (another Techsmith product) does almost everything that I needed SnagIt for on Windows. The nice thing is that Jing is free.

Nice!! I will have to give that a try. I prefer to use SnagIt over the Windows Snipping tool because of all of the added features & options. Thanks for the info!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.