Additional RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2GB RAM 500GB HD
About a year ago my Vaio turned into the slowest piece of slowness I've ever encountered, so I put in another 2GB of RAM, so now it's got 4GB memory. Now, I'm getting a unibody MacBook with 2GB RAM. My question is: should I get more RAM for it? I don't plan on doing anything too intensive with it (no 3D modelling or anything crazy like that) so do you reckon it's worth it or will it run alright without it?

Also, Apple charges extortionate silly prices for extra RAM so I would never buy it from them, but what brands that you've tried would you recommend? One last thing: it was super-easy to just unscrew the bottom of my Vaio and put the RAM in it; how easy is it to do with a MacBook? Would I need to get a pro to do it for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
It is just as easy on Macbook. More RAM will improve performance based on usage. One thing Macs do not do, however, that Windows does, is use more and more system memory and not free it, forcing a reboot. I have 2 GB on mine, which is great so far. I may get more but for now, I do lots of multitasking stuff on it, and it performs superbly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
It is very easy to put ram into a macbook. I would start with 2 gb and see how it goes and if you feel you need more, you can upgrade to 4 gb. I recommend crucial.com for getting ram as they tell you the exact models that will fit into your macbook and it is very reliable.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
2GB is more than enough for every day computing. IE. Email, web surfing, listen to music, and watching movies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2GB RAM 500GB HD
Thanks guys, man this forum is useful.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I agree with the guys. Run through your normal tasks for a few days and see how things perform. Having Activity Monitor open would be a good idea. It will let you look at the amount of free memory available and how well it is being released by the OS.

BTW just to ease your mind the link that pigoo3 provided for macsales.com also contains a list of installation videos for ram and hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
I had the same concern when buying my 2gb MBP, but so far so good!
I've run some fairly intensive tasks on it and no problems as of yet! crucial seems to be the cheapest place to buy more RAM, but as of yet I honestly don't think I will need it, and unless you are doing some serious work on your MB it should be fine! I suggest you download the istat pro widget for dashboard which is an easy way to monitor your memory usage!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.