Buying a used PowerMac G5....PCI-E or PCI-X

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm basically looking for input here. I would like to upgrade my studio w/o investing too much. Currently I'm running Logic Pro 7 on an iMac(PPC) G5 1.8. Hate it, it's time to change. I don't have the funds to buy a nice Mac Pro, but I also don't want another iMac. I've found good deals on used Power Mac G5s (ie. 1k gets you 2.5ghz dual w/ 250gb hd, 5.6g RAM). I use Apple Logic 7 with no intentions to pay extra money to upgrade to the latest and greatest version, when I'm quick and efficient with my current version.

My question is this, is it necessary to purchase a used PowerMac with the PCI-X card or PCI-E card? From my research, speed is not an issue, just hardware compatability. But, by staying with PCI-X, I could also afford older but quality gear at great prices, such as a UAD card, once about 1k, now $250.
Are there advantages/disadvantages you know of between purchasing a used PowerMac with PCI-E vs. PCI-X motherboards? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest going with the PCIE Dual Core machine. They are dual cored, which is faster than dual processor, have faster memory and PCIE graphics are also much better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.