Problems Re-installing OSX - Indefinite Reboot??

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not new to macs but am having trouble installing 10.5.2 macbook pro disks onto my late 2008 unibody macbook. I have lost the original macbook installer disks that came with it.

Already installed and running fine, but bought a new HD and want to install onto that.

So I'm trying to install with a macbook pro 1.1 install disk, which I thought should work. I try to boot from disk using cmnd+C and this is what happens:

Boots, chimes, grey screen for 20 secs, black screen for 5 secs... repeat indefinitely, install never starts, have to power down.

I've tried doing this from disk with the newly formatted new drive installed, with the old system drive installed, and also by running installer from desktop... always same result.

I've upgraded RAM to 4GB, so have tried both with the 4GB in and with the original 2GB in.

I have tried PRAM and NVRAM clear. Seems to work, power light flashes, although doesn't beep like on my older macs.

I have tried booting using option key. This lets me choose drive, but still install doesn't work, just keeps rebooting again.

I have tried booting into open firmware. This doesn't work, just keeps reboots again.

I have repaired permissions.

No luck with the install doing any of this. Is it the install disk? If not, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well there's your problem. Those install discs are model specific so no they won't work on your machine. You will need to get the originals or a full retail version of the os you wish to install.

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick!

Thanks Clay, I thought that would more than likely be the case, but wanted to check as I though the intel disks were no longer model specific. I'll get on the case and find some replacement disks.

Thanks again,

Henry :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Glad I could help and welcome aboard.

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.