Finder crashes, won't relaunch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 6 month old macbook pro with a 3.06 GHz processor and 4GB ram on snow leopard. I haven't had any problems with it until the last few days. Recently, finder has started to crash multiple times per day, giving me the spinning beach ball and not allowing me to do anything in any applications. I click "relaunch" on finder, but nothing happens. The only way to fix the problem is to shut the computer down by holding the power button. This has happened at least twice a day every day for the past week. It happens regardless of what apps i'm running. It happens when I'm not doing anything that stresses the processor or uses too much ram (sometimes happens when i'm just running safari and ichat).

I tried using "verify disk" in disk utility, which returned a bunch of errors, which i fixed with the snow leopard disk a few days ago, and it didn't help.

Is there anything else that I can try? Has anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi everyone,

I have a 6 month old macbook pro with a 3.06 GHz processor and 4GB ram on snow leopard. I haven't had any problems with it until the last few days. Recently, finder has started to crash multiple times per day, giving me the spinning beach ball and not allowing me to do anything in any applications. I click "relaunch" on finder, but nothing happens. The only way to fix the problem is to shut the computer down by holding the power button. This has happened at least twice a day every day for the past week. It happens regardless of what apps i'm running. It happens when I'm not doing anything that stresses the processor or uses too much ram (sometimes happens when i'm just running safari and ichat).

I tried using "verify disk" in disk utility, which returned a bunch of errors, which i fixed with the snow leopard disk a few days ago, and it didn't help.

Is there anything else that I can try? Has anyone else had this problem?

You may have a buggy preference file. Try creating a new user, log into that user, and see if the problem persists. We can go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Go to Finder/(user)/Preferences and delete these two files:
com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.sidebars.plist
Then empty the trash
Then restart the Mac

OP
K
Reaction score
I couldn't find the files vegasgeorge mentioned. My user is "Kyle" so i went to /users/Kyle/ and there was no folder named preferences. Am i looking in the wrong place?

Anyway, I did what lifeisa***** did (making a new user) and I'll report back in about 24 hours to tell you if it worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I couldn't find the files vegasgeorge mentioned. My user is "Kyle" so i went to /users/Kyle/ and there was no folder named preferences. Am i looking in the wrong place?

It'd be Users/Kyle/Library/Preferences

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.