• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Program for converting video format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
According to David Pogue and his text on iMovie 09, you cannnot adjust a video's clip speed unless it is originally in a particular format (Apple Intermediate Codec). [See Pogue's "iMovie 09 & iDVD", page141].

There is a program available only for PC's which converts videos to various other formats (avs4you.com). Is there such a program for Macs which does the same, i.e. convert Canon produced video to Apple Intermediate Codec?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You didn't mention what model camera, HD or SD footage, etc. so I'll make a shot in the dark statement here that MAY or MAY NOT answer your question.

If you are using a Canon HD Camcorder that records to SD cards or an internal HDD, when that footage is imported into iMovie, it is converted into AIC - iMovie (or any other Apple editor) can not edit AVCHD footage without conversion, the nice thing is this is done behind the scenes when you import your footage.

This comment only applies to camcorders that record in AVCHD, I don't know how iMovie handles HDV (recording HD footage to cassette) or SD (standard def) recordings.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
My camcorder is an HG 10. The video indeed must be converted by iMovie 09 (my Mac was bought if Dec. 2009, so it is Snow Leopard equipped). iMovie handles it well without any conversion on my part. However, Pogue, as stated in my first post, states that I cannot change the clip's speed unless it is AIC to begin with. Hence, my quest is a program which will allow me to change a clip's format to AIC. Is there such a program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You don't have to.

It's in AIC now.

When you import AVCHD footage from that camera, it is converted to AIC, you have no choice in the matter. You should be able to do your speed adjustments without any problems right now.

I understand you're reading the material and following his directions, but he may be referencing footage that is in iMovie that isn't in AIC. Your footage, once imported from the camcorder (assuming your importing from a Highdef recording on the camera), should be in AIC - no more conversion by you is necessary.

Reaction score
You don't have to.

It's in AIC now.

When you import AVCHD footage from that camera, it is converted to AIC, you have no choice in the matter. You should be able to do your speed adjustments without any problems right now.

I understand you're reading the material and following his directions, but he may be referencing footage that is in iMovie that isn't in AIC. Your footage, once imported from the camcorder (assuming your importing from a Highdef recording on the camera), should be in AIC - no more conversion by you is necessary.

thanks, i also have such puzzle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.