really loud fans and over 100% cpu usage

Reaction score
I havea macbook thats around two years old. 10.4.11, 1gb ram. 2.16 intel core 2 duo. Anyway recently I've noticed that the fans have started to go really fast and my computer is running slowly.
anytime I open up firefox and try to stream a video the fans get really loud and istat pro always shows that the exhaust is generally going at around 6200 rpm. CPU says that firefox is usng 24% right now. But if I try to stream a video on ninjavideo or something the usage goes over 100% and my computer freezes and runs extremely slowly

Can anyone help because its getting really frustrating.

OP
W
Reaction score
I also want to add is that sometimes I hear clicking noises coming from my laptop as if the hard disk is trying to turn on or something.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anytime you start streaming Flash Player content, you can rest assured that your CPU is goin to be running at or near 100%. There is no fix until Adobe fixes it.

Clicking, I'd suggest you check that out. If it's your hard drive, time to make sure you have your data backed up and look at getting a new one.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I presume you're streaming a Flash video which is VERY resource intensive. A RAM upgrade on your macbook will greatly alleviate the slowdowns.

Have you tried Safari to see if it work any better or Google Chrome?

Regards

OP
W
Reaction score
so the cpu usage is not a problem with my laptop? it used to handle watching videos fine.

OP
W
Reaction score
the same thing happens with safari and i tried to install google chrome but it didnt work, my fans have gone up to 5000rpm even though im not doing anything except browsing this forum and facebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
I think sometimes it can also depend on what kind of websites you are streaming video from :Blushing:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried Safari to see if it work any better or Google Chrome?
That won't make a difference. The problem is Flash, not the browser.

so the cpu usage is not a problem with my laptop? it used to handle watching videos fine.
Have you upgraded Flash? It seems that the CPU issue just get's worse. Hopefully 10.1, which was off to a promising start, will solve some the problems with CPU usage.

the same thing happens with safari and i tried to install google chrome but it didnt work, my fans have gone up to 5000rpm even though im not doing anything except browsing this forum and facebook.
Did you get the Mac version of Chrome (it's a beta)? Are you running anything other that your browser? What does Activity Monitor say?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.