Should I be using Safari ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
What browser would you recommend to use on a MBP?
I haven't really had any issues, problems, slow downs with Safari, but before I came over to the bright side I was using Google Chrome.

I also ask that if your going to suggest a browser other then Safari, please give me a reason or two why I should be using that one instead of Safari. Just for some reassurance lol.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I suggest you use the one "you" like best and not allow the tastes of others to govern your own.

You could give one of these a try:
Safari, Opera, Firefox, Camino, nightly Webkit builds, Chrome, OmniWeb, Flock, Shiira, BumperCar, ...

Try a few of them out a week at a time (at least long enough to know, that one is just not for your taste).

Here is a quick overview of many popular OS X browsers for your exploration.

I would suggest having 2-3 browsers at your disposal in case one crashes or some site or the other just doesn't work well in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I use Fire Fox simply because I prefer it to Safari or any of the others that are available.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'd been using Firefox primarily for the extension support..can't browse the web without Ad/Flash-block in place..I recently switched over to Chromium and that's working better than Firefox..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Safari is Ok, if a little buggy still in my opinion, and it just will not play video from some sites at times (in my experience). If you are running Snow Leopard it's somewhat worse, and exhibits some odd behaviour too.
Firefox is a lot of peoples choice, but I don't really like it much either, just because I don't!
Chrome is available now, but it's only in Beta. However, it's seems to work very well, and is certainly fast, and I really like it.
It's main issue is a lack of bookmarking at the moment. This will be fixed soon.

To sum up, I use all 3 from time to time, but mainly use Safari on my G4 laptop, and Chrome on my Snow Leopard equipped iMac.
I hope that helps.

Reaction score
It all comes down to personal taste.

My personal favourite is firefox, i think it's generally the most popular one. Almost everyone i know uses it. I've heard pretty good things about google chrome, but i'm so used to firefox i can't see myself switching anytime soon. it hasn't given me any reason to switch either!

I'd say just try a few of them out and stick with the one you think is the handiest to use! you can always delete the other ones afterwards :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Was using Firefox, then used Safari when I switched but now I'm onto Chrome which I think is just brilliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I have had nothing but good luck with Safari, and comparatively, I find it faster than the others. But to each his own!

Reaction score
i am using firefox which has been working fine for me, i am using it since i heard that its safer to sur the web with..been using it for over 4 years and i like it..

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'm using Chrome over Safari... I dig it.

OP
Hi Tek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
I was a FF user until Chrome was released. Since then I'v stuck with Chrome. So that being said, I think thats what I will go with. Just kind of concerned because i'm on a Mac now and Chrome is still in BETA, Don't wanna deal with crashes and stuff like that. If it happens alot ill give FF a try, but in my opinion Chrome > FF .. IMO

OP
Hi Tek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kind of disappointed the Mac version doesn't support extensions :( ..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The nightly Chromium builds support extensions. If you're interested in the nightly Chromium (what Chrome arises out of) builds, you can download them here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Stick with what works for you - no browser is 'perfect' - however you might define that word. So just go with what you are comfortable with and what fits your needs. I've been using Firefox since before it was Firefox :) but I occasionally use Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera. I suspect that Opera is the 'best' of all, but, somehow, I've never managed to form a relationship with it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
i use safari and firefox, but recently my firefox crashes whenever it goes to a site loading java.

Safari rocks though, i still get some pages not load because it requires explorer or firefox

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Should I use Crest or Aquafresh?

Seriously just use what you are comfortable with. It's not like you are going to die if you don't use Safari. >_>"

I love firefox because of the massive extensions and customization. Safari really lacks that, but it looks nice...too bad it's a resource hog. T_T"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I love firefox because of the massive extensions and customization. Safari really lacks that, but it looks nice...too bad it's a resource hog. T_T"
Usually Firefox is noted as the memory hog especially with the memory leakage (I think this may have been fixed). I've never really noticed it too much with Firefox but I have had Safari beach ball on me for no apparent reason. That said, Safari usually seems much lighter and quicker.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Usually Firefox is noted as the memory hog especially with the memory leakage (I think this may have been fixed). I've never really noticed it too much with Firefox but I have had Safari beach ball on me for no apparent reason. That said, Safari usually seems much lighter and quicker.

Not sure how you like to browse, but I usually have 20+ tabs open...and Safari apparently doesn't like that. I see more beach balls than summer vacation. >_>"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how you like to browse, but I usually have 20+ tabs open...and Safari apparently doesn't like that. I see more beach balls than summer vacation. >_>"
I like to "cull" out tabs that I'm not using so I usually have no more than 4 or so open for any extensive period of time (especially if there is Flash content). I really want to try browsing with 20+ tabs in Safari now to test this out.

EDIT: After a very quick and subjective test, Safari did slow down on certain pages when I had 25 tabs open (you know how hard it was to come up with 25 different pages?). The pages it struggled with were pages with a lot of pictures (which may not be all that surprising). I would test this with Firefox but I get the feeling that I might get the same results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.