Should I be using Safari ?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like to "cull" out tabs that I'm not using so I usually have no more than 4 or so open for any extensive period of time (especially if there is Flash content). I really want to try browsing with 20+ tabs in Safari now to test this out.

EDIT: After a very quick and subjective test, Safari did slow down on certain pages when I had 25 tabs open (you know how hard it was to come up with 25 different pages?). The pages it struggled with were pages with a lot of pictures (which may not be all that surprising). I would test this with Firefox but I get the feeling that I might get the same results.

Actually do try it out. I think the most tabs I ever had opened with firefox was 55, and even then it didn't beach ball me. It did slow down a little, but probably because of my tab preview plugin. >_>"

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Actually do try it out. I think the most tabs I ever had opened with firefox was 55, and even then it didn't beach ball me. It did slow down a little, but probably because of my tab preview plugin. >_>"

Crap on a cracker. Are you kidding? How in the world do you remember what's in all of those tabs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Should I use Crest or Aquafresh?

Arm & Hammer with baking soda..lol

but yea i like Firefox for the same reasons...it is very customizable, among other things. the only thing i miss on Safari is the history feature.. but i have been about to deal without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I prefer Safari, simply because of the Top Sites feature. I can't surf without it.
For sites that aren't Safari-friendly, I use Firefox. Safari does beachball on me occasionally.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari is the fastest performing browser at the present time in the Sun Spider Java benchmark as well as a lot of other benchmarks. Google Chrome is right behind it (Very close). Firefox (at least the release version) is quite a bit behind in most of those benchmarks. Do keep an eye out for Opera 10.5. Brand new Engine and it's right at the same level as Safari and Chrome in all those benchmarks. It's in Alpha right now.

That being said, I feel very conformable in Safari, but also love Firefox after all the years I have used it on Windows. I use Safari unless it has issues with a site then I go for Firefox and Opera in that order. When Chrome is finally officially released for OSX I am sure it will be in my main arsenal of browsers also. Also I am keeping my eye on that new Opera in Alpha. Very promising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i just got coolpreviews.. and wow that is a very nice addon i have been using cooliris for a bit now and the tab preview is a very nice addon.. good looking out Crimson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you export bookmarks from firefox? so they can be put into safari

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Safari is the fastest performing browser at the present time in the Sun Spider Java benchmark as well as a lot of other benchmarks. Google Chrome is right behind it (Very close). Firefox (at least the release version) is quite a bit behind in most of those benchmarks. Do keep an eye out for Opera 10.5. Brand new Engine and it's right at the same level as Safari and Chrome in all those benchmarks. It's in Alpha right now.
Safari/Webkit has always done well with JS in my own experience. You're right about Opera 10.5. That browser flies which is a nice improvement over it's current abysmal performance with JS. 10.5 is almost Safari fast with JS which means it's close to 10x faster with JS than 10.1 (IIRC). I think 10.2 (in beta right now) uses the same JS engine so it won't get the speed it needs. I can't wait for 10.5 (JS and Cocoa integration).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
can you export bookmarks from firefox? so they can be put into safari
Yes very easily. You just need to have both firefox and safari's bookmark windows/side bar open at the same time. Then drag and drop.

Crap on a cracker. Are you kidding? How in the world do you remember what's in all of those tabs?

With this:

20100110-f9if7567k7iyrtfcencm8ysb6d.jpg

Don't need to memorize anything. You can just flip/scroll through all the tabs that are open.

I prefer Safari, simply because of the Top Sites feature. I can't surf without it.
For sites that aren't Safari-friendly, I use Firefox. Safari does beachball on me occasionally.

I really do like the top site feature on Safari, but I think that what makes my computer beach ball when I open a new tab every time. Keep in mind I have 20+ tabs open. >_<"

Chrome has something similar if I'm not mistaken.

There is fast dial for firefox users. Similar to top sites on safari, it just doesn't have automatic updates...and you need to add your sites manually...but you get to choose what your thumbnails look like. Visual bookmark ^-^? Try it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.