Problem with WD MyBook hdd on macbook

Reaction score
I am having a problem problem with my external hardisk, WD Mybook 1Tb. Since 2 weeks now, everytime I plug it to my macbook, a message: " The disk you inserted cannot be read by this computer, Initialize, ignore, eject pops up".
The hdd is connected to the computer by usb.
It has 3 partitions all FAT32.
Diskwarrior cannot find the disk.
When I choose initialize, Disk utility shows the HDD has 2.2 TB external media.
I have googled but I cannot find any solution.
I was wondering if someone can help here.
I am using a macbook late october 2008 that is running snow leopard 10.6.2
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a good sign when Disk Warrior can't see the drive. It appears that your 1 TB drive is defective. Unless you have critical data on that drive that you absolutely have to extract from it, contact WD tech support and get a RMA for the drive. They will send you a replacement. The drive should still be under warranty. (three years)

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, thx for your reply. I will try to check if I can use it under windows. When I plug it on firewire the macbook can see it. I am not sure it is a hardware problem.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem only with my internal HD. I ran Diskwarrior on my Mac24 took like 3 days and my computer hang and will not respond. (appears it went to sleep and all I got was the black screen) Call DW tech support, the guy on the phone suggested me to do a hard restart on the computer. after that, diskwarrior can no longer find my interanl HD...?? What the?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.