Getting my iBook today!

E

EvoMac

Today I will be picking up my iBook from someone on the buy /sell section here. It's going to be nice having a laptop around, I just have a couple of questions for you iBook owners.

1) Any apps that are "must haves" for the iBook - ie I've seen quite a few ss's of people having a signal strenth indication on the top bar in OS X.

2) The 30gb drive is a little small, is it possible to install a program on a external drive (via ntfs file share or external hdd) and run it on the iBook?

3) One nice feature I've come use to with my mini is that when the mini is off it still charges my iPod via firewire, will the iBook do the same thing?

4) Is their a big performance jump in OS X performance with Tiger or is it best to hold off on that?

5) I have some preferences I would like to backup from OS X, where are internet favorites stored for Safari and Camino?

- Sorry for the long list, I'm just thinking of things off the top of my head to get my iBook up and running asap. Thanks in advance as always :mac:

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

itloser said:
Today I will be picking up my iBook from someone on the buy /sell section here. It's going to be nice having a laptop around, I just have a couple of questions for you iBook owners.

1) Any apps that are "must haves" for the iBook - ie I've seen quite a few ss's of people having a signal strenth indication on the top bar in OS X.

2) The 30gb drive is a little small, is it possible to install a program on a external drive (via ntfs file share or external hdd) and run it on the iBook?

3) One nice feature I've come use to with my mini is that when the mini is off it still charges my iPod via firewire, will the iBook do the same thing?

4) Is their a big performance jump in OS X performance with Tiger or is it best to hold off on that?

5) I have some preferences I would like to backup from OS X, where are internet favorites stored for Safari and Camino?

- Sorry for the long list, I'm just thinking of things off the top of my head to get my iBook up and running asap. Thanks in advance as always :mac:
---
answer--
1)the stength indicator in the menu bar isin the OS it self you can turn it on under in the system prefs under network tab.

2) yes

3)the firewire port still works will the ibook is asleep

4)according the the benchmarks i seen the ibook didnt not see a performance jump with the release of tiger.

5) the bookmarks plist is stored in home//library//safari
i dont have camio installed but i imanginethe book marks would be in the same place.

OP
E

EvoMac

Thanks for prompt reply. Just 1 quick followup for #3, what if the iBook was powered off (not sleep) but still connected to a power supply, would the iBook still have an active firewire port like the mini?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

only one way to find out
i will be right back let me kill my ibook and see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
[sarcasm]McAffee Virex[/sarcasm]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
EvoMac1) Any apps that are "must haves" for the iBook - ie I've seen quite a few ss's of people having a signal strenth indication on the top bar in OS X.[/QUOTE said:
SideTrack, Transparent dock.

OP
E

EvoMac

I had side track installed until I saw the post for iScroll. I like iScroll a bit better, although I liked the option of sidetrack assign "hotkey corners".

The double finger scrolling outweights that in my opinion and it has the perfect pricepoint... free :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
1.menustrip.

2.usb overdrive.

it helps me disactivate the acceleration system for the mouse. it might help if you using a mouse and aplpication like photoshop etc..

3.nyways, you shall see a lot of other application on the apple software section or softpedia.com

OP
E

Ey3 D

If you are gonna run any games, I would suggest Call of Duty. Play it directly from the DVD (don't even have to install!) and it runs great on my iBook. Good choice and good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.