Why can't i get gimp to install?

Reaction score
When i installed it it seemed to go fine.

But when i try opening it it says

Gimp.app requires Apples's X11.

Then i went to install Apples's X11 And i choose a Destination i click on my Macintosh HD and it says. "You cannot install X11 on this volume. Newer software already exists on your computer.

Some one plzz help?!! :DDDDD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We need your specs please. Especially need which version of OSX you are running. 10.4? 10.5? Do you have the OSX DVD that came with your mac and what are it's specs?

You do need X11 for Gimp to run but you can't just download the one on apples site0 as that is for older versions of OSX. More info please.

OP
J
Reaction score
Machine Name: Power Mac G5 Quad
Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 4
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX

Firmware Revision: AA06
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

And its a 10.4.11

Im not 100% sure whats specs you need im a bit new at trying to sound smart lol :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok. Do you have the OSX DVD that shipped with that machine or a Full Install DVD of Tiger? If so you need to mount the Tiger DVD on the desktop and open it. Scroll down and find Optional Installs. X11 should be there. If so that is the one you have to install.

It's been a while since I last worked with that Tiger DVD but that is where it should be.

Here is a thread where I gave directions.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-applications-games/76564-gimp-need-x11-but-wont-install.html

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the 10.4 Tiger DVD that came with your Mac Quad G5?

OP
J
Reaction score
Im not sure how too find it if i do.

My brother was using my computer and tryed to "Clean" it so he deleted a bunch of stuff

Is there some way i can get it back if its gone if i cant find it?
or how do i even find it lol. sorry im stupid i feel like a tard

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Im not sure how too find it if i do.

My brother was using my computer and tryed to "Clean" it so he deleted a bunch of stuff

Is there some way i can get it back if its gone if i cant find it?
or how do i even find it lol. sorry im stupid i feel like a tard

Sorry, but do you not know what a DVD is?

A little round thing... looks like a coaster with a hole in the middle... those round things that you insert to install new software you purchase... sometimes movies come on them... they look like a CD...

It would be the original that came with the machine when it was new or the retail Tiger version if you upgraded from a previous operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.