Random? hanging

Reaction score
I have a problem where my macbook will randomly hang
I'll switch tabs in Firefox, or close a finder window, or start typing text into a form, and system will freeze. Sometimes I get a beachball, sometimes not. Sometimes I can move my mouse, sometimes not. The only constant is that any audio/video programs like iTunes stop making audio/video. After a few seconds, like magic, it will un-freeze, and act like nothing has happened.
It has eluded my every attempt at diagnosis: I cannot reliably reproduce the behavior, and it seems to occur regardless of what peripherals, programs, etc I'm using. Could someone point me in the right direction? or even some tips on diagnosing this sort of thing? It's truly infuriating

Latest-generation MacBook Pro, 15", leopard

Thanks!
Max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi Max - welcome to the forum. Try going into Accounts and clicking the + at the base of left hand pane and creating a new Admin User and enable fast user switching in Log in area. Log in there for a bit and see if you get the same hangups. When u report back give a bit more info - have you had the Mac for long, has it always hung randomly, does it only do it at home, is it Ok on ethernet cable or just a wireless issue and are you on 10.5.8 if not download and run this.

Have a read here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.