Got a new router, having some connection problems..

Reaction score
Just bought the Linksys WRT160N router and have been more frustrated than I should be.

First things first, I can browse the internet with a ethernet cable from the router to my MacBook, however, wirelessly I get NOTHING. On my status bar, it's showing as the wi-fi is connected with full signal, and inside of Network Preferences, both the ethernet connection and Airport connection are lit green, yet still, my wireless connection doesn't work.. I know my MacBook is (802.11a/b/g/n) enabled, so that shouldn't be the issue..

Screenshot:

Picture1-4.png

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.. Please and thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Check the "Ask to join new networks" box.

If that doesn't do it, show us your TCP/IP tab under Advanced.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That pic shows you have a self assigned IP address which the computer assigns if it can not get one from the router. Is your router using a key? If so WEP? WPA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You have a self assigned IP address cos the MacBook has had to set its own. The Linksys needs to be set to handing out DHCP and the MacBook to Using DHCP.

Click for full size

OP
Mac23
Reaction score
Got it to work, thanks for the answers guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What solved it for you? It might help another user down the road.

OP
Mac23
Reaction score
Basically, I didn't notice the "self assigned IP" because I've never had that happen before..

I just refreshed the DHCP and voila! I knew my WEP passcode was correct, but it took a couple of you guys pointing out for me to notice the problem..

Reaction score
I have the same problem!

I set up the same router, and it took a little while but it now works for my roomates macbook, but not mine.

I am currently connected through the router but with one of the ethernet ports.

It says "self assigned IP" and I am attaching a picture of the IP it is giving me, but I have gone onto the basic setup site for linksys but even when I put in the IP it is giving me, with its subnet mask it says "connected" but I still cannot connect to the internet...

Help!! This is crazy frustrating!

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
so i have tried renewing the DHCP lease, and thats when it spits back the '169' IP, which means that airport cannot connect.

I can connect with my iphone, my friends macbook and my roomates dell laptop, but still, the laptop that set up the linksys router, mine, cannot.

The setup was really messy, for some asinine reason, linksys literally disables your airport card during installation. It isnt until a full succesful installation that it lets go of it.

during the installation a few times i was unable to finish the installation and as a result my airport would not turn back on, at least to look for wireless. when i went to network preferences, it would say that my ethernet is either connected, or not, but my wireless would say "inactive." when i tried to turn airport on, the button was disabled, and there was nothing I could do. my only way out of this partially completed installation was create a new location and then i could look at other apartments wireless networks again.

thanks for any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.