Faster Speed, But NO!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.6.7 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Help! I switched from Earthlink at 1.5 Mbps maximum speed to Qwest at 7Mbps but I don't see any improvement. Every online speed test I try says I am at no more than 2.5 Mbps. Does my firewall have anything to do with hindering increased speed? I am running OS 10.4.11 on an iMac 800MHz G4. I am paying for 7Mbps and I'm not getting what I'm paying for, Qwest says the line is handling that speed so it must be my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Put a modern computer on that connection and run a speed test. That will tell the story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forumns.

The processor speed, or lack of it, can affect the speed of your broadband, as can the amount of memory in your iMac, which you do not give.

Also consider if you connect via a land line your distance from the local exchange, are copper cables in the ground or fibre optics, poor performing filters - you are using filters on all other phones etc.?- and even cordless phones being close to your computer can affect your connection speed. Your G4 processor is going to be slower than say an Intel machine.

Also ISP will always tell you the problem is at your end. Have you got a friend with a laptop who can try out your connection?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went from 1.5 mbps with Earthlink to 7 mbps with Qwest High Speed Internet. But my iMac 800MHz G4 running OS 10.4.11 will only reach 4 mbps. Qwest says the line is handling 7.2 mbps so it must be the computer. Is my firewall setting preventing my top speed or what? I can't figure out what the problem is. Can anyone give me a clue?
P.S. I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue so please go easy on me if this is not the correct forum, thanks. Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went from 1.5 mbps with Earthlink to 7 mbps with Qwest High Speed Internet. But my iMac 800MHz G4 running OS 10.4.11 will only reach 4 mbps. Qwest says the line is handling 7.2 mbps so it must be the computer. Is my firewall setting preventing my top speed or what? I can't figure out what the problem is. Can anyone give me a clue?
P.S. I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue so please go easy on me if this is not the correct forum, thanks. Mike

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How are you measuring the download speed?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are you measuring the download speed?

Using many different speed tests online. Like sppedtest.qwest.net (which is the one my provider recommends & it still only measures 2.5 to 3 mbps) & 2wire speedmeter. Is there a more accurate method of testing the speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wired or wireless?

It my just be the age of the machine itself...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Double/cross posting is not a good idea...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.