Heyello everyone.

First off, tech details.

Apple iMac 24-inch
2.8 GHz
2 GB RAM
320 GB Hard Drive (about 100gb free)
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO video card

I'm experiencing a pretty odd problem with my Mac. It started running pretty slow, and eventually pretty slow turned to insanely slow. Like, it took me twenty minutes to open my Apps folder slow.

The first step in my troubleshooting was just to restart. When I was booting up again, I saw the dreaded "Folder with a question mark", and screamed profanities because I had no idea why my hard drive had disappeared. Now, funny thing is that I gave up for a while, left the house and came back after a few hours, and she booted up fine. Still slow, but the boot was okay.

The problem has been consistent every time I've had to shut down my computer, which I have had to do to try and solve the speed issues - I tried an Archive and Install, but I got a fail message midway through. I've also Repaired Disk Permissions, Repaired my Boot Disk, reset my PRAM, emptied my cache folders... Anything I could think of. I'm starting to just think that my computer is inadequately ventilated.

Any other thoughts? The slowness is intolerable, especially now that I'm starting up my classes again for the Spring term...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
sounds like a dying hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up glo to Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions two or three times. If no improvement boot from the system disk, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk from there as you cannot repair a disk you are booted from and see what is reported.

Next step is to download a utility called Applejack. Install and print the instructions. Boot in Target Disk mode and run Applejack as set out in the instructions. Personally like the option where it auto-reboots when finished. In single user mode the fan will take off but do not worry about that. Here is the link to download Applejack:-

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Final step if no improvement run Apple Hardware Test from disc one of the original install discs, running the extended tesat which checks out the logic board, memory, graphics etc etc.

Keep us posted?

OP
A
Reaction score
For sure guys, thanks for all the help. I'll try those steps right away and keep you posted over the evening!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What's with the "hot" part of your title? The word appears only there, not in your post.

OP
A
Reaction score
What's with the "hot" part of your title? The word appears only there, not in your post.

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. The heat was implied in my first deduction that the problem may be inadequate ventilation.
As for an update on my status, still no such luck. I tried repairing my permissions/disk again from my OS X installation disc, and after much drudgery (I had to reboot three times before I could successfully start Firefox) I downloaded Applejack and ran it at my next boot, to no avail. I'm thinking it may be my power supply cooking things...
Only thing left is the Apple diagnostic though. I'll post the results hopefully this evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
If I was you I'd take this time to backup everything (if you haven't already), as it does sound like a HDD on its way out, then run the Apple extended diagnostics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.