Original Mac Widgets

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here, hope this is in the right place!

Ok, i got this application that was meant to "properly" delete things (i.e. the things that are left behind when you trash something, plug-ins etc.) i think it was called appcleaner. Unfortunately, it deleted some stuff i didn't want it to! Including the original widgets that come pre-installed with the mac (calendar, address book etc.)

I've looked in the downloads section on the apple website but i can't find the original mad widgets anywhere to download. Does anybody know anywhere where i can find the original mac widgets available to download?

Thanks to anyone that can help me!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Appcleaner does not delete something unless you tell it to. Anyway, the only way you're going to get those widgets back is to install them from your original DVD that you received with the machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Address Book etc are actually Applications not widgets. If you download a utility called Pacifist it will allow you to extract whatever you are mssing from the DVD and install that way.

OP
W
Reaction score
Appcleaner does not delete something unless you tell it to.

Yeah i know, it was a dumb screw up on my part! AppCleaner suggested deleting certain things to me and i thought they were just files/plug-ins i didn't need. Unfortunately it ended up deleting the widgets. Along with other stuff like a quicktime plug in to play youtube videos, but i managed to fix the other stuff it deleted.

Address Book etc are actually Applications not widgets. If you download a utility called Pacifist it will allow you to extract whatever you are mssing from the DVD and install that way.

Ah i see, well i still have the iCal/Address Book/Calculator main applications installed. If the widgets are part of the Application is there any way i can get them from the application?

Hopefully i can find the original cd, but i won't be home to even look for it for a couple of weeks, so if there's any other way it'd be handy. If not i guess i'll have to wait.

I was wondering, if i knew somebody that also had a mac, could i copy them from HD/Users/.../Library/Widgets folder? 1. is that where the pre-installed widgets are kept? (i can't tell now as they're not on my mac anymore) and 2. would copying those files install them on my computer, or do i need an original install file from the cd?

Thanks again :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay click on the Dashboard icon in your Dock, and up comes widgets. Now see the little + sign ~ click on that and across the bottom appears a stack or widgets which you can install. Keep us posted?

OP
W
Reaction score
Nope! There's nothing there. Or in "manage widgets" either. All i've got is a sudoku widget i recently installed. All the original mac ones are gone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you got the Dashboard icon in the Dock? If not go into Applications and drag it to the Dock and proceed.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yep, tried it from both the dock and applications menu and got the same results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay off to the install DVD and try Pacifist as suggested earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.