Just took my mac for repair, can anyone explain this?

Reaction score
Hey, first time posting here, so im sorry if its in the wrong place! Bascically i just took my mac into the genius bar because it had stopped recognising its charger. Everything still worked fine (or so i thought), but you basically had to work with the mac plugged in and it would take FOREVER to charge, like 1% an hour. Oh also i've only had it for 9 months! So anyway i took it in and it apparently needed a new logic board and a new magsafe board. Luckily it was still under warranty and it was free, but otherwise it would have cost £400!!!

I wouldn't say i used it excessively, no more than other people, and it usually sits on a desk with not too much moving around, i just dont see how this could have happened!!!! And considering all i thought was it wasn't charging! Just seems a lot of money for a minor inconvenience. Like i say, it was free so it doesn't really matter, but im just worried it might happen again! or that im doing something wrong. Does anyone know why these things happen? could it be getting too hot? I was expecting like a new £40 charger or something, not a new logic board, when i really didnt think there was anything wrong with it! Anyway, if anyone had any insight id be very grateful :) Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Could have been faulty to begin with, stuff happens. Technology is not perfect.

OP
T
Reaction score
yeh i guess, it just was behaving perfectly so i had no reason to believe there was anything wrong with it.

OP
T
Reaction score
oh also, i dont know if i made this clear, but the charger problem only happened in the last month, the 8 months before that everything was working perfectly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
dude same thing happened to my mac....so i sold it and got a new one bc Apple wouldnt fix it unless i paid $800

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You don't spend much time on forums like this one before you realize that even Macs go South every now and then. Even quality hardware and build will experience failures every so often. It comes with the territory. That's why buying Apple Care is such a good idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.