Numerous Application Crashes (Firefox)

T

tillong

Hi all,

Im a recent switcher, and since I got this thing (iBook 933MHz) I have experienced so many application crashes. Earlier today I reformatted the entire computer on my friends advice as he informed me the Kernel Panicks I saw while previously reinstalling OSX (10.3) were very rare and I should probably just reinstall. My problem however is that I am still experiencing a high rate of crashes. Firefox crashes like it is its full time job, sometimes upwards of 10+ times per day. This seems very odd to me as its rock solid on my Linux (Mandrake 10) and WinXP machines. I was willing to dismiss it as simply one program malfunctioning but then safari began crashing with the same consistency, which just doesnt seem right. Also my copy of bittorrent will just dump out and never even produce the crash-report dialog.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do to make all this crahsing stop. its driving me crazy, my windows apps dont crash nearly this often. I have recently run the permissions repair utility, as well as the disk repair utility. No errors were reported on the disk repair, the permissions utility repaired a handful of perms.

Thanks for any help anybody's got

-Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi Paul,

I'm running OS X.3.9 with the latest Firefox and it's solid. If you are having that many crashes have you thought about maybe bad hardware causing the crashes, especially with a clean system and you still have the same problems.

Later,

Joe

tillong said:
Hi all,

Im a recent switcher, and since I got this thing (iBook 933MHz) I have experienced so many application crashes. Earlier today I reformatted the entire computer on my friends advice as he informed me the Kernel Panicks I saw while previously reinstalling OSX (10.3) were very rare and I should probably just reinstall. My problem however is that I am still experiencing a high rate of crashes. Firefox crashes like it is its full time job, sometimes upwards of 10+ times per day. This seems very odd to me as its rock solid on my Linux (Mandrake 10) and WinXP machines. I was willing to dismiss it as simply one program malfunctioning but then safari began crashing with the same consistency, which just doesnt seem right. Also my copy of bittorrent will just dump out and never even produce the crash-report dialog.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do to make all this crahsing stop. its driving me crazy, my windows apps dont crash nearly this often. I have recently run the permissions repair utility, as well as the disk repair utility. No errors were reported on the disk repair, the permissions utility repaired a handful of perms.

Thanks for any help anybody's got

-Paul

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you updated any hardware recently, as installing a memory stick?

Reaction score
Do you have your 10.3 updated to the 10.3.9 version? If so i would start suspecting a hardware problem somewhere as 10.3.9 was very solid on my system. With that many crashes you describe it sure smells like a hardware problem as i know the os and the programs are fairly solid on a good system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Sounds like bad memory to me. I have no crashes, especially not kernel panics.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'll say that it's the memory too. I had bad memory in my iBook for more than a year, and I upgraded it finally. Since the upgrade, I have had no issues with kernel panics or browsers crashing like before.

OP
T

tillong

Yes I do have 10.3.9 fully upgraded. The system I bought has 640mb of ram in it, so I suppose its possible that one or more sticks could be bad. I did however run the full apple hardware test off the CD, and it didn't complain about the memory. Could it still be a problem.

I just zapped the PRAM, thinking perhaps a faulty setting in there could be a problem. As it stands now neither bit torrent nor firefox have crashed since I did that, but then again its only been 2 hours.

If I start to see symptoms as I have previous described what do you recommend? Id think pull the ram, and then see if the system has any problems, and if not (after a couple days) insert a stick, and see if problems return, etc. However I don't know how many sticks this machine has, with 640mb Id think like 256 built in, a 128 and another 256, but I dont even know how many slots it has (its a G4 14" iBook).

Thanks again,

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.