10.4 glitches after upgrade

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Tiger on my G4 tower and since, i've been having all sorts of little problems. For example, when you bring up a file's info, it just refuses to calculate size. And when you delete or move a folder, you have to toggle menu views or sometimes even relaunch the finder just to see the changes. As I use the computer primarily to sort and burn files, this is proving to be quite a problem.

Didn't have these problems with Panther, but couldn't use my external burn drives either.

Do I need to wipe and do a clean install?

Also, is it normal for mac to only recognize an available 4.38gbs of a 4.7 dvdr, or do I have my settings wrong or need a different burn program.

OP
K
Reaction score
Nice. Couldn't take it anymore. Did the clean install, this time using my external drive. What a difference. I think my built in optical drive is just hitting the fan. Everything runs tight, smooth, and FAST now. Worth losing all the data.

I'd just have deleted my post, but I don't know how to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep your highness clean install is the only way to fly. Consider an external HDD with Firewire connection to back up. SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner will copy your OS and all files to the external, and being Firewire it is bootable in case of emergency.

If you are getting a ticking noise could be as you described but the fan does not come in contact with the optical drive, or the HDD beginning to fail so a back could be vital.

OP
K
Reaction score
Size calculation issue: solved.

I had this problem again. Accidentally figured out how to fix it. It was the dead battery in the PC making the computer endlessly think it was 1969. For some reason, it won't calculate the size of files if this is so. So long as the power supply is continuous, no issues. Just a head's up for any others who may have this prob with older machines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had this problem again. Accidentally figured out how to fix it. It was the dead battery in the PC making the computer endlessly think it was 1969.

If we're talking a tower computer...replace the PRAM battery everything will be fine.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.