Movin' on up

P

porkanbeans

Howdy everyone, I'm familiar with macs but new here.

Here's my situation: I've been thoroughly enjoying my imac G4 (700mhz, 256 ram) for about 2 1/2 years. It's a wonderful computer, but with all the multimedia I've started using and different games and such, the ol' imac's just struggling. My current thoughts to solve this problem are to look into a G5. While I know a G5 will handily run all my programs at a fast speed, the range of power available makes it hard for me to understand which one's right for me. I don't use programs graphic designers or producers use, so I know the 2.7 is overkill. What I do use is Photoshop with lots of files for it, iTunes for storing my music, Appleworks for schoolwork, and mostly a NASCAR game I have tons of files for. I also want to run this game online successfuly while still being able to put all visual effects to the max. The online racing league I joined suggests that a single 1.8 will do the trick. What do you guys think? Also, as far as displays go, what are some good choices?

Thanks!

Reaction score
For what you do, the iMac will suffice. However, you may be able to keep your current computer simply by upgrading the RAM. 256 is not enough to even run Panther/Tiger at a confortable speed these days. For what you do, I would reccommend 1gb. Believe it or not, that will solve many of your preformance woes for around $300 or less (I'm not sure of the price of a 1gb stick of ram).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I agree with djlee12, throw in some memory, and you'll see a big gain in performance. 2x512MB aren't that expensive, it has 2 slots. And I'm not sure anyway if the old G4 iMac can handle 1GB modules. But with 2x512MB, you'll be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
ditto, save yourself cash, just get the ram. I know i know a G5 is tempting lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.