New Hard Drive issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 unibody Snow Leopard
Successfully upgraded using SuperDuper to a 500g Seagate 5400 drive on my 13" macbook (2008 unibody). All was running smooth until a day later, freezing all the time. Had to hard reboot to undo it, and when i do, upon reboot get the question mark. Obbiously cant tell where to boot from.

I have locked the settings to boot from that specific drive. In fact, the only way it seems to recover from this is to put the old drive in, boot from it, plug the new drive in via USB, reselct boot from new drive, and then shutdown and swap drives again and boot from new drive. This gets it to where it should be - but then the cycle repeats itself.

Any ideas? I am getting really wary of mac upgrades at this point. I dont want to buy a new machine just to get a larger drive but am thinking mac might not be very user upgradable. My windows machines are more stable than this which is SCARY.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you got a bad drive. Where did you buy the Seagate from? Either take it back and get a new one or contact Seagate and ask for a RMA. They'll send you a replacement drive. Even brand new drives fail. :(

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You and I have the same machine and I ( and thousands of others ) have updated our machines with both hdd and ram with out a problem. So trust me when I Say it's just a bad drive and has nothing at all to do with your Mac not be user upgradable.

Good luck
clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.