Problems Installing Snow Leopard over Leopard

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a new 27 inch iMac that came with Snow Leopard.
In order to run Pro Tools Software I decided to install Leopard over Snow Leopard so the software would work.

Now that I am able to upgrade to Snow Leopard I'm having a problem.

The problem is:

I insert the Snow Leopard Install disc and follow instructions.
The installation begins, saying it will take 59 mins.
At about 47 mins left, the computer automatically restarts and installation ceases.

I then went to erase the HD in Disc Utility and all the options are grayed out so I am unable to do that.

Since installing Leopard over Snow Leopard I have been told that the new iMac I have is not designed to run Leopard.

Now I'm stuck...

Does anyone know what I can try?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
EDIT: Nevermind my initial reply. I thought you were trying to get Leopard on, not going from Leopard back to Snow Leopard. Doh! Starting over.....

So... are you unable to erase your drive from the Snow Leopard DVD? Have you tried simply doing so from your Leopard install DVD?

Reaction score
If I am reading this correctly we have the exact same problem. I too am installing snow leopard to run pro tools. The only thing is I am doing it over tiger. My installation has gotten down to 39 minutes remaining before stopping. I am not sure the solution but if you find one please let me know!

Reaction score
Huh? You mean Leopard over Snow Leopard.

I think you are confused. You can't install a backward degrade -- Leopard over Snow Leopard. You install Snow Leopard over Leopard -- going forward. To install Leopard on a drive volume that has Snow Leopard requires clicking the "Options" button. Then you choose either "Erase and Install" (in which case, Snow Leopard disappears entirely) or "Archive and Install" (in which case Snow Leopard is hidden in a folder called "Previous Systems"). There isn't going to be any installation of Leopard over Snow Leopard.

In reference to the off-topic response about Tiger, you can't install Snow Leopard over Tiger. All claims to that effect are false. Tiger must be gotten out of the way first, either by erasing the volume, by moving all the Tiger folders into some other folder (similar to an Archive and Install), or by choosing a different drive volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This thread has me lost....
So, to the OP, can you please start again.
You have a new Mac that shipped with Snow Leopard, and you are trying to install Leopard! Is that correct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You guys are replying to a 7 month-old thread...I don't think the OP has been checking in much lately!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.