Mac mail is changing smtp port settings

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
We're having trouble figuring this one out, odd as it sounds... port 25 is used for outgoing mail, but a number of Macs in the office seem to set themselves up for port 587 each morning. I can manually change the settings but often, by the next morning they have changed again. Is there a way to make these settings stick?

Thanks,

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
per RFC 2476 587 is an acceptable SMTP port. Handy as many ISPs block connections to anyone's port 25 but their own servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
I had the same problem with windows machines. It went on forever, every morning, we tried every possible creative way to find a solution. In the end we just logged into the modem, not the server, and made IP's static.;P

Also, perhaps if you have heavy printers on the network just for these machines you can install the drivers directly to the computers so they don't have to find it on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had the same problem with windows machines. It went on forever, every morning, we tried every possible creative way to find a solution. In the end we just logged into the modem, not the server, and made IP's static.;P

Also, perhaps if you have heavy printers on the network just for these machines you can install the drivers directly to the computers so they don't have to find it on the network.
Wrong thread?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.