quick 'mail to self' app or solution

Reaction score
hi - i was wondering if anybody knows of an mail to self application?

looking ideally for something

+with a menubar icon
+ key board shortcut to open
+ adding a quick note
+ sending it to my defined email address (set-up in preferences through my email account

something i can fire off note to myself.

I got something for my iphone which works well (MailMe) and I want to integrate the approach into my work on the mac.

any help, tips or other solutions appreciated - THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
As far as notes to self go, I'm a big fan of Chandler Project. Its quite a nifty little database of self referenced memorandums, easily organized as though one is not the center of their inbox universe

But my intention was to stop filing my inbox with reminders and narcissistic blurbs ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK, here you go. Just make yourself a simple Automator app. Open your Automator app. Select to create a new Application. Pick "Mail" from the Library list and drag "New mail Message over to the right column. Enter your email address in the "To" field. Use "Option" to chose the fields you want displayed when you run the app. I chose only "Subject," and "Message." Next drag "Send Outgoing Messages" over and drop it below New Mail Message. Finally, switch to the "Utilities" category and drag Quit Application over and drop it under Send Outgoing Messages. You need to brows to "Mail" and specify it as the app to quit. Then go to File and Save as, I named mine "eMe" and put it on my Desktop. That's it. By double clicking your new app you should be able to shoot yourself a quick "e" any time you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Also, I believe in Mail somewhere among Preferences, you can tell it to always mail you a CC when you send email. Maybe that helps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Oh, I forgot to mention; I don't know of any way to put your own icons in the menu bar, but you can certainly drag that Automator app down and drop it in the Dock. Then it's always available to you. Incidentally, I use the disappearing Dock feature and find it very handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
iCal has an option for reminder alerts that you can send emails to yourself.
Just jot down a note in iCal and set the reminder for 5 minutes from now or an hour from now and have it email the reminder to your address.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks vegasgeorge - i actually tried automator, but did not know about the selective field option and did not think about the send messages action. that one actually works smoothly. except with the selective fields the message field is shown before teh subject field for some reason????

first i wanted something mail independent, but the to be honest mail is always on on my mac (therefore i also quit the close application action)

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
"....the message field is shown before teh subject field for some reason?"

Yeah, I noticed that too. Seems kind of backwards, huh? I don't know why they did it that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.