Western Digital, Snow Leopard , Time Machine...INCOMPATIBLE!?

Reaction score
I just bought a WD MY Book 1 TB hard drive to back up my new Mac Laptop. I hooked it up, set up TIme machine. pressed start and It looked like it was working...for about 3 GB...then it died. That was 3 weeks ago. Now I've scoured FAQ's, forums, and WD support sites. They, (WD) now tell me that Snow Leopard & Time Machine are INCOMPATIBLE with one another and that I need to get Apple to resolve this issue. I'm new the the Mac after a 20 +year hiatus. Any truth to this or is WD just blaming Apple for their product? My case with WD is #010410-6979384. Is it possible that Western Digital no longer makes Apple Compatible products?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ummm that be weird you say that as i have a WD MY Book 1TB HD and hooked it up straight out of the box and TM did the rest ....
Im running SL as well
WD are passing the buck me thinks :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Return it for a new one. Tell them it is defective and you want a replacement.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think WD was handing you a big load. I have been running Time Machine under Snow Leopard since SL was released. Not only is it working I have had fewer errors now than under Leopard. I have had to verify/repair the Time Machine drive once.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Agreed with the rest, Time Machine works great on Snow Leopard. I currently use it with a ReadyNAS for storage. I bought a 250GB WD MyBook a couple of years ago and the thing misbehaved from the first day, random disconnects and so on. Had to RMA it and get a second one which worked WAY better and more reliably.

So definitely return the drive quickly and get a replacement..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I believe you found a tech who decided to increase their handled calls, thus the metrics that no doubt their call center goes by. Call back, demand to speak to a supervisor and tell them their techs are full of it and that Time machine works quite well on snow leopard.. and hey, it even works well with another 1tb mybook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My external disks are WD. One used for TimeMachine and one with SuperDuper! All on Snow Leopard. They work fine. They did before I upgraded to SL as well. :)

Reaction score
On the same subject, can I get a WD hard drive and do Time Machine on my iMac & MacBook? It would stay connected to the iMac and occasionally I would want to backup the contents of the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Just got my son a WD Studio 1TB . Worked with Snow Leopard/TM out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.