13 inch Macbook Pro boots to black screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram
I just bought a new 13 inch Macbook Pro about a month ago. Everything works great, however when I boot to the factory Install DVD that came with it, it looks like it is doing everything right, then goes black screen on me while the disk is still making noise. I have tried everything to get the display to come on but nothing works. I found that shining a flash light on the screen shows that it did in fact boot to the install screen, the back light just isn't on. I called Apple Care and they said that the DVD must be bad, so they sent me a new one. Guess what, it does the same thing. Has anybody had this problem, any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Do other DVDs play normally?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, everything works well. Its almost like the DVD has the wrong video driver on it or something.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Contact Apple again. There's either something wrong with the logic which turns on the backlight, or the NVRAM is confused.

If you like, you can try resetting the PRAM - NVRAM first. See the following Apple KB article: LINK

You might also try a SMC reset: LINK

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Contact Apple again. There's either something wrong with the logic which turns on the backlight, or the NVRAM is confused.

If you like, you can try resetting the PRAM - NVRAM first. See the following Apple KB article: LINK

You might also try a SMC reset: LINK

Regards.

Thanks, you were right, I just reset the pram and now it boots fine to the install DVD. It also now boots faster to the hard drive than it did before, so something was not right.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.