itunes is huge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Version 10.6.2
another question...
when i enter my itunes it says at the bottom i have 22GB of music, but when i right click on the music folder in finder it says i have 45GB of music! do i have doubles of all my songs?? how can i fix that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
another question...
when i enter my itunes it says at the bottom i have 22GB of music, but when i right click on the music folder in finder it says i have 45GB of music! do i have doubles of all my songs?? how can i fix that?

It does sound like you have doubles, or perhaps you only have added half of them to iTunes? How exactly do you manage your music? Do you put them in your Music folder before adding them to iTunes? If so, you likely have the option enabled in iTunes to copy anything added to the iTunes Music folder. If you do, disable that option first. Then... well you have to figure out for yourself what doubles you have and how to delete them. It's entirely possible that you don't have an exactly doubled set.

You could get help weeding out duplicates using an app designed to look for doubles. Tidy Up is very good. There are a few others.
Search - VersionTracker

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Version 10.6.2
i get some music from torrents and when its finished downloading i drag the folder directly into itunes, then go into finder, music, itunes and drop the folder into itunes music....so i have to go into itunes music and go into each folder and see if there are doubles of the songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
i get some music from torrents and when its finished downloading i drag the folder directly into itunes, then go into finder, music, itunes and drop the folder into itunes music....so i have to go into itunes music and go into each folder and see if there are doubles of the songs?

Yes. Well not exactly. When you added your songs to iTunes BEFORE moving them, it copied them to the folder Music>iTunes>iTunes Music. When you moved the originals, unless you put them in that exact same spot, then they are wherever you put them. So you still have doubles, just likely in different places.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.