Reinstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.9, 16 GB Ram; fusion; iPad 2; iPhone 5, Macbook (silver), Macbook (black)
Hi: My iMac seems quite sluggish, and I'm wondering if a reinstall of Snow Leopard would speed things up. Any advice/thoughts will be appreciated.
2.4GHz; 4GB of RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea with SL you can do a re-install which by default will Archive and Install...
But have you tried other fixes yet, as Repair Disk Permissions.
I recommend the A&I only if trouble shooting hasnt worked for you..
Can you give examples as to the meaning of "sluggish" and have you tried troubleshooting ??

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.9, 16 GB Ram; fusion; iPad 2; iPhone 5, Macbook (silver), Macbook (black)
Yes, I've tried the permissions route. Sluggish" the pinwheel spins almost every time I open an app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea well if you have backed up your HD to a Ext HD, go ahead and drop in the SL disk and in 40 mins you will back with us, with no spinning wheel ..
It will speed things up BC what you are doing is putting it in clean.
But back up and they say to repair permissions and empty trash before install and after the install repair permissions again .....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I've tried the permissions route. Sluggish" the pinwheel spins almost every time I open an app.

What's running in the background? Have you opened your Activity Monitor to see if anything is eating up your memory and the CPU?

Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app

Reinstalling is a drastic step and may not resolve the problem.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reinstalling a UNIX-based OS is rarely necessary. This is a habit that many of us bring from Windows, but it's usually not necessary. There are lots of things you can do to improve the performance. Start here and let us know how you make out.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all! A combination of your various advice, along with the app MainMenu, has solved my problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.