• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cinema Display Movie Question

Reaction score
Hello all, new here! Sorry to come in and ask a question right away but I have something that is driving me crazy.

I am running a 15 MacBook Pro with a new 23 inch LED Cinema Display. I do NOT have the displays mirrored as I bought the display to have more desk space so to speak. My issue is that if I try to go full screen in iTunes, it always displays on my laptop instead of my Cinema Display. I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. I have searched google and I cant find any direct mention of this.

I cant imaging Apple would create this awesome display and then NOT allow iTunes to run full screen on it. Yes, I can mirror displays but then it runs on both and kind of defeats the purpose of buying a second (better) display.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks to all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
My setup is the same as yours. I bring up iTunes, then grab the little tab at the bottom right corner or the iTunes window and drag it over and down to resize the window to full screen. Yours won't do that?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I can drag itunes but not when in full screen mode. Are you saying when you are watching a movie in full screen mode you can then drag it over to the cinema display?

Thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
For clarification: When I open a movie, it starts playing in itunes. I then click on view -> full screen. It then opens in full screen mode on my laptop and my cinema display goes black. What I want to happen is the movie to open in full screen on my LED Display and my laptop to go black. If I want to watch a movie on the LED display currently, I have to open settings on the mac and then click 'mirror displays' which then plays it on both. It is annoying having both and it seems to me shouldnt have to be that way...

Any thoughts that could help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If i understand it i do this but just drag the iTunes to your display and then activate full screen. This then will play on the display and your Mac will have the black screen...You havnt actually said or not if you have dragged iTunes to the 23"
Dont mirror the displays. Do detect displays so then you have TWO separate displays then as i said just drag the iTunes window to the 23" play movie and then full screen it ..

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Or make your Cinema display the main monitor. Go to system preferences/displays/arrangement then grab the menu bar and drag it over to the cinema display outline.

OP
D
Reaction score
Or make your Cinema display the main monitor. Go to system preferences/displays/arrangement then grab the menu bar and drag it over to the cinema display outline.

This did the trick!!! Thanks you and thanks to everyone for their help! I can stop pulling my hair out now!!! Thanks again, I didnt know you could change the menu bar!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.