Wow! Another Spinning Wheel???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni 13/2.53 SL- iPhone 3g
I am on a 4 month old 13" MBP 2.53ghz 4MB RAM running Snow Leopard.

Two weeks ago I had to restart my MBP in two consecutive days. I routinely restart it after a week of usage.

This morning I had to restart it twice. It took over 5 minutes (normally 30-45 sec.) for it to enter it's stable state after the system startup. Whichever program I opened took an unusually long time to execute.

Today while at work with 5 simple programs open MS Word (for Mac) was in it's thinking mode for almost 10 minutes before I force quit the program. I doubt that this in normal activity. I ran ClamXav over the weekend and it came out clean. I've verified all drives and have used onyx as well. Trash has been emptied. All programs are running with current updates.

I didn't spend too much time with Leopard so I couldn't compare the two OS...but could this be my case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Repair disk permissions even though Oynx delves deeper into the system ... Worth a try

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities
Click on your HD in left column, make sure First Aid tab top centre is clicked then click on repair permissions ...
I personally use MainMenu
Post back on progress ...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you use Boot Camp?

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do...but have not logged onto Windows XP in a week.

I will try the repair disk again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do...but have not logged onto Windows XP in a week.

I will try the repair disk again.

Doesn't matter. Make sure you've got your Boot Camp partition excluded from Spotlight indexing. Had all kinds of issues with seemingly random beachballs until I did that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
If you have Windows on your system, even with Bootcamp, it is bound to crash. Windows is a death sentence.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed that when I do a search it brings up info from my BC Drive. How do I go about excluding it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's simply untrue.

Sorry, but having used Windows for decades, I can promise you that Windows is built to crash and destroy everything you hold dear. It is a terrible, terrible OS designed by an evil man out for profit who wants to screw you over. Anyone who does not see that is naive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed that when I do a search it brings up info from my BC Drive. How do I go about excluding it?

Open Spotlight from System Preferences. Click the Privacy tab. Drag and drop the Boot Camp hard drive icon from your desktop over to the list of excluded items.

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have Windows on your system, even with Bootcamp, it is bound to crash. Windows is a death sentence.

At least for now, I can't live without it. Work requirement.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but having used Windows for decades, I can promise you that Windows is built to crash and destroy everything you hold dear. It is a terrible, terrible OS designed by an evil man out for profit who wants to screw you over. Anyone who does not see that is naive.

All exaggeration aside, Windows is effectively sandboxed when it's installed in its own partition via Boot Camp. I won't even get into the unrelated absurdities you're blathering about here since it has no baring on this discussion.

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sh**! My work is gonna crash and burn too? Best look for a new job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I humbly disagree. I have used all versions of Windows, from DOS even, on dozens of machines, and all of them, ALL of them, have constantly crashed, destroyed data, ruined my life, etc. It is patently absurd, and in my opinion, people who actually like Windows are either misguided, or very naive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sh**! My work is gonna crash and burn too? Best look for a new job!

Why do you think your company has full-time IT people who spend their days backing up everything on ridiculously complex servers, who have to constantly update your machine, etc? Windows is ridiculous.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anyone who believes that OS X would crash simply because Windows is installed is extremely naive. If you're not booted into Windows, how is it supposed to affect your machine? That's like saying that Safari crashed even if it wasn't open.
Why do you think your company has full-time IT people who spend their days backing up everything on ridiculously complex servers, who have to constantly update your machine, etc? Windows is ridiculous.
Companies with Macs have IT people for them too. On top of this, backups are essential regardless of OS being used. It's just smart business sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, you win. Windows is an excellent product that does not crash often. Sorry I argued.

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Spotlight from System Preferences. Click the Privacy tab. Drag and drop the Boot Camp hard drive icon from your desktop over to the list of excluded items.

Thanks, that was simple! I know this will eliminate my annoyance concerning spotlight searches. I hope it will eliminate my beach ball issue as well. Only time will tell.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, you win. Windows is an excellent product that does not crash often. Sorry I argued.

I understand your enthusiasm for Mac and I share it. But when you go into the Switcher's forum and make a statement like that, even if you're just exaggerating to be amusing, you can seriously misdirect people who are here to learn about their Macs and doing a disservice to the community itself.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I understand your enthusiasm for Mac and I share it. But when you go into the Switcher's forum and make a statement like that, even if you're just exaggerating to be amusing, you can seriously misdirect people who are here to learn about their Macs and doing a disservice to the community itself.

And to add to CWA's excellent post, it makes Mac users look bad. That is why so many Windows users hate Mac users, telling half truths about Windows and bringing down the whole Apple community.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.