How do I install sounds in Tiger?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been setting up mail and I need to set a custom sound for new mail.

Now, this used to be a very simple procedure in earlier versions of the OS, namely System 6.x (I know, I'm showing my age, but I still remember as far back as 6.0.4 :p) through to "Classic", AKA 9.2, where you would simply drop the sound file on to the system folder and the finder would put it where it was needed.

Is the procedure relatively similar under Tiger? I haven't tried it, yet and a google search turned up nothing of relevance.

Many thanks. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You would add them to your home directory under Library/Sounds

or just open up Mail Preferences - go to the 'New messages sound' pop-up menu and select Add/Remove at the bottom - browse to your file and it will automatically be added to the above folder. This will make it available as a choice in quite a few system apps that use sound.

edit: Well I think this was the same back in Tiger.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
You would add them to your home directory under Library/Sounds

or just open up Mail Preferences - go to the 'New messages sound' pop-up menu and select Add/Remove at the bottom - browse to your file and it will automatically be added to the above folder. This will make it available as a choice in quite a few system apps that use sound.

edit: Well I think this was the same back in Tiger.

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your reply - The ways you suggested (I tried both, with the same results) work, up to a point; namely Mail being able to "see" the file in question.
However, when you click on the file to play it, as a preview, it just plays a "click" sound, like when you take a snapshot.

The file is a .wav and plays as it should when opened with itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your reply - The ways you suggested (I tried both, with the same results) work, up to a point; namely Mail being able to "see" the file in question.
However, when you click on the file to play it, as a preview, it just plays a "click" sound, like when you take a snapshot.

The file is a .wav and plays as it should when opened with itunes.

Hey Rottie maybe try changing the file to .mp3 in iTunes... I have done just that as bob suggested, cutting a cpl of bars out of a song in Audacity and importing to iTunes as MP3 ..... Not sure if it will make a difference being .wav or .mp3 ... Worth a try ???

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Might try the above. I just tried a 9 second wav file I had lying around and it worked ok in Mail.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Hey Rottie maybe try changing the file to .mp3 in iTunes... I have done just that as bob suggested, cutting a cpl of bars out of a song in Audacity and importing to iTunes as MP3 ..... Not sure if it will make a difference being .wav or .mp3 ... Worth a try ???

Cheers

Hi TattooedMac,
I tried as you suggested, even renaming the extension to .aiff (which, IIRC, was the original mac sound format, back in System 6.x days) but still get the camera shutter sound when I preview it in mail. :(

[EDIT] Got it sorted - Had to make it an AAC file in itunes, which converted it to mp4 audio. Now plays as it should. :D
Thanks to both of you. :)

Reaction score
hey Rottie! is that a recent pic of your little pooch in your avatar?

I have one too! She's about 90 lbs now. Not so little anymore but she thinks she is still a puppy.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
hey Rottie! is that a recent pic of your little pooch in your avatar?

I have one too! She's about 90 lbs now. Not so little anymore but she thinks she is still a puppy.
Hi droflex,

That pic of Pepa was from when she was a puppy about 7 1/2 months, in that one - She'll be four, this coming september.

Here are a couple of slightly more recent ones of her, taken at about 9 months.

Had her weighed just before Chrimbo and she weighed 8st7lb (approx 120lb), but although that sounds a lot, it's about right, because of her Russian blood lines. :D

Pepa9M(original).jpg

Pepa_Park.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.