• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ripping/Combining DVD Problem - New to Mac pls help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook
HI All,

I have just made the change from PC to Mac and am currently having a few problems any help on the below would be great - ideally in as basic format as possible pls.

Right so i want to rip a number of my DVDs to my Macbook's hard drive. I have read the Mactheripper is a good program for this so downloaded it and followed the instructions.

Upon completion i now have a saved file which contains 2 other files titled Audio_TS and Video_TS.

Now Audio TS has nothing in it and Video TS has a number of files in it. There are two types of files the majority of which have the VLC media player symbol so i assume are video files and most can be played (from looking at these in short they look like the various parts/chapters of the DVD) the other files just have a white piece of paper type symbol and are either .BUP or .IFO files.

Basically the first thing i want to do is combine these files so they can be played as 1 video file without the need to select a separate file for each section of the DVD.

Any help with this would be great....

Thanks in advance

Mark

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no need to combine anything.

Open VLC - in the 'File' menu select 'Open Disc...'

The new window should be on the 'Disc' tab

Place a dot next to 'VIDEO_TS folder', then click the browse button and browse to the folder you wish to play.

And FYI before the discussion heads in the wrong direction: We follow U.S. law which makes it illegal to break the encryption found on most commercial DVDs. So any discussion related to ripping these DVDs is not allowed here.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook
I still dont understand how this will allow me to use this ripped DVD as one video file.

At present i have multiple video files that require me to open each on seprately. Is it not possible to combine these into 1 video file for continuous viewing??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Because VLC knows what to do with them if you tell it what you're doing.

Just try it and you'll see.

When you go to browse, just have VLC open the VIDEO-TS folder, not the files inside.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.