Mac Mini (Early 2009) Questions

Reaction score
1. I use a temp program called iStat for my Mac Mini. Last night I was encoding MP4s for about 3 hours and I noticed that iStat reported the temp got to 90c / 196f. I read that Mac minis get hot but is that too hot?

2. I think i might be having problems with the display pig tail that came with my mac. Sometimes it blanks out, sometimes its colored static, somtimes its lines accross. Usually goes away if i play with the pig tail. I have notice the problem gets worse when the system is hot.
Should I get a new pig tail or send the whole thing back to Apple?
Sometimes I think its the actually conection on the mac where the display pig tail.
Anyone else having probelms with the pig tail?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1. 90C is definitely very hot..I believe the CPU is rated up to about 100C..check on the fan speed, and see if you can crank it up a little to try to alleviate the temperature..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
The mac mini is likely to get a lot hotter than other machines due to how compact it is, i would agree with above though and see if you can get the fans running faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.