Reinstalling Windows via Bootcamp

Reaction score
So I'm trying to reinstall windows, but I'm using an old backup copy of my windows xp cd, so I'm not sure if it'll still work... I don't suppose I can reinstall it without a CD can I? I tried to run boot camp, and I don't think I can install a 3rd partition as a test for the CD, and it looked like the only way to get the reinstall windows is to remove my windows partition and then install a new one. If I kill my windows partition, is there any way to get it back if my CD fails?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to reinstall Windows XP you will need the original CD that you used to install it in the first place. You mentioned backup copy. What kind of backup copy are you referring to? Windows XP must be a full install copy and be at least SP2. Only a genuine MS boxed copy or a system builder's version will work.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend backing it up with WinClone and then trying your disc to reinstall. If it doesn't work, you can easily restore it using WinClone.

Reaction score
Hi, i replied earlier with a full post on how to fix this issue. I didnt relize what i had said was against the post rules by refering to torrents (i was just joking around, no insinuations were made) id just like to apologizing about saying that, and if you would like to see my reply which solves your issues, email me at [email protected] and i will send it to you there, sorry, i just would like to not infringe on the rules on this board.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, i replied earlier with a full post on how to fix this issue. I didnt relize what i had said was against the post rules by refering to torrents (i was just joking around, no insinuations were made) id just like to apologizing about saying that, and if you would like to see my reply which solves your issues, email me at [email protected] and i will send it to you there, sorry, i just would like to not infringe on the rules on this board.

That was not the only reason I deleted your post. Your method doesn't even work for you (as is evidenced by your thread asking for help with it), why would you recommend it to others?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.