Macbook Pro Screen Dimming

Reaction score
I knew I wasn't going crazy. I could have sworn that I saw the screen dim itself when unplugged, despite me keeping the brightness half-way. What happened was that I gently moved my finger across the webcam to remove a bit of lint that was on it, when all of a sudden the screen dimmed. It went back to normal once I removed my finger to stop covering it.

I'm new to Macs in general (especially the MBP), so I have to ask, is this common? What are the uses for it? Is there a way to turn it off?

Kind of neat, nonetheless.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
haha yeah this is normal! One of my favourite features as well!

It just means that you don't have a really really bright screen in darker areas thus reducing eye strain!

If you go to System preferences and then Displays there should be an option at the bottom of the window saying 'Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes' just untick the box to disable it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
haha yeah this is normal! One of my favourite features as well!

It just means that you don't have a really really bright screen in darker areas thus reducing eye strain!

Just like on the iPhone. Autobrightness is definitely a step up ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
And only on MacbookPro, not on my MAcbook grrr lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
My Macbook does it too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh..hmm. And you say System Preferences, Displays, and there is just a tick box on the bottom of the first screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Macbooks must not have it, as it is not an option anywhere that I can see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Oh..hmm. And you say System Preferences, Displays, and there is just a tick box on the bottom of the first screen?

Yeah that's right! I am using a dual-screen set up so mine looks like this:

swsnx3.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.