iphoto is huge!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Version 10.6.2
ok, i only have 1,273 photos in my iphoto, and went i go into finder, pictures, right click on iphoto, it says it is 42GB!.....my friend has over 5,000 pictures on his computer and his iphoto is only 25GB is size! why is mine so big!! what a wast of space!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Probably because...

1) your camera is a higher megapixel camera
2) you've made more edits to your picture
3) you have video in there, not just pictures

any of the above.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is he using perhaps a 1 megapixel camera and you are using... let's say... a 5 megapixel camera?

Only one of what could be many reasons.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Version 10.6.2
no...our cameras are similar, his is about 7 megapixels and mine is about 9....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your camera 2.1 MB per picture (jpg)
His camera 1.8

this is assuming that you are both shooting at MAXIMUM resolution, he may not be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Pixel count doesn't matter as much as size of picture. If you shoot at 3000 x 2000 (as an example) and he shoots at 2000 x 1000, there will be a big difference.
I have a 6.1 million pixel DSLR, and file sizes tend to be around 5MB each, my wife has a 12.2 million pixel Compact, and file sizes are 4 MB. Go figure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
keep in mind that jpg is actually a compression method. different images will compress differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If I remember correctly, iPhoto creates several versions of each of your photos in case you want different sizes. I'm not sure if there's a setting which will curtail this activity, or if I'm even accurate about this. But I do seem to remember wrestling with it when I tried iPhoto for the first and last time before ditching it for Lightroom.

Wasn't the only reason I ditched it, but I do remember saying how silly I thought it was that it created files that I didn't want or need.

Just FYI.. there ARE alternatives to iPhoto. :eek: Mostly not free alternatives, but better *IMO* alternatives, nonetheless. The first free one that comes to mind is Google's Picasa. Google Picasa 3 for Mac: An able, free iPhoto alternative - MAC.BLORGE

This one is $25 : Lightbox

Graphic Converter: Apple photo software - Mac picture editor, photo editor, image editor, graphics conversion

The more expensive ones are obvious:

Photo Mechanic
Lightroom
Aperature

I really like Photo Mechanic a lot but already own Lightroom so it's a bit redundant. Plus Lightroom is a bit more powerful. Personally don't like Aperture very much, but many others do.

One last thing. There used to be an Apple script floating around for iPhoto called "iPhoto Diet". I looked but couldn't find a version which was compatible with the latest iPhoto. Perhaps one will pop up. It basically got rid of any duplicate files iPhoto or you created.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.