Wireless internet connections

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2GB RAM 500GB HD
So, I'm a little confused. I have a wireless internet connection at home (Virgin Broadband - avoid like the plague if you know what's good for you) and when I get my gorgeous new shiny MacBook, will I also need to buy an AirPort device for it or can I just search for wireless networks and go like in Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Virgin provide the service - broadband, but it is router/modem device that can supply wireless network. Or you could have an airport extreme or airport express wired to modem/router and supplying the Network. Macbook comes with an Airport Card which will allow it to connect to most wireless networks so you should be good to go depending on what is supplying your wireless Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
It comes with the received built it, so you need nothing else. If you have Airport Extreme, you can actually set your Mac to send out a wireless signal and create a network! It just works! Yay!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet, the way the Apple website words it sounded like I needed to shell out however much it costs for a silly white thing I don't want. But I don't, excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Don't knock them - those silly white things are good value - if u need one. Your next thing to think about is 'if the HD packs up just before i have to ....(fill in the blank)' how much will it affect my life. Read a few of the threads on this forum and get a back up plan in place.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good shout, cheers. I'll think about it, but after parting with so much money for the MB itself, it'll have to wait. My external HD drive will keep me going for the mean time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.