Battery Problems- 2007 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Ok so this is ridiculous....

In the 2.5 years i've bought this computer, i've had to buy a new battery after a year and a half because the old one went down to around 60% health. Now, for some reason, this week the battery dropped from 85% health to 30% health. Keep in mind this newer battery only has 250 cycles on it, while my older battery has around 450 (which, dropped from 60% health to 11% health). I'm meeting with the Genius bar today at 2 PM-- is there any way I can get my battery replaced? There has to be some kind of defect with these two batteries- my older PC laptop has better battery health than them! I'm fed up with having to buy new batteries and new power cords (currently on my third power cord, the connection cords keep on melting).

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Had a similar issue with my MBP and from the sounds of it you may have to send it all in and have the charging checked. My logic board was replaced and i suspect it all started from charging issues but of course cannot verify that. Now i would use this, but with your new battery you might want to check this one out.

Reaction score
Batteries suck. They are chemical devices in a digital world and the ones used in laptops and cell phones are "bleeding edge" so don't expect perfection.

Your older Windows PC probably used Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries. NiCads were perfected in the Cold War by Defense Contractors for missile systems - so using them in laptops was pretty mundane for that technology.

The Lithium based batteries used in all of today's modern laptops / cell phones is still going through a shake out process - unfortunately, we are the unwitting field testers for these battery systems. Sony used to have laptops that caught on fire - not a good thing for a "laptop" computer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Had a similar issue with my MBP and from the sounds of it you may have to send it all in and have the charging checked. My logic board was replaced and i suspect it all started from charging issues but of course cannot verify that. Now i would use this, but with your new battery you might want to check this one out.

So I tried this, and the battery still seems to die out quickly, while the health of one of them has already dropped... 3% since my last posting. Does anything think there's a chance Apple might just throw me a new battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When my MBP went in it was 18 months and 6 out of the standard warranty but the certified Apple Repairer dealt with Apple and in the end all i paid was shipping both ways. So look for repair outfit with a good rep and hope that it is a known fault. Apple will not give you a new battery without testing the charge system otherwise you could be in the same place in a few months with another dead battery.

OP
S
Reaction score
They replaced it. It was obviously a defect. Let's hope this next battery treats me better...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.