Dashboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
Other than me, is there anyone here who find Tiger to be a total waste of resource?

Each widget takes a minimum of 15mb RAM and to be honest, none of the widgets are really useful...to me anyway.

edit: they dont seem to be taking up 15mb each anymore...they have stabilised to around 7-10mb each

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I use a lot of the widgets and i find them very helpful. I use 2 Weather widgets, the calendar, 3 world clocks, the calculator, the capture widget, dictionary, and a TV schedule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I find the widgets I use to be very useful (with the exception of the Hula Homer, that's just fun). I run the the Dictionary/Thesaurus, a world clock, Weather, Doppler Radar, Calculator, Calender, Traffic, and my favorit, the TV guide thingie. I don't know how I ever lived without the ability to move my mouse to the lower right hand of my screen to reveal my local TV listings. :D

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Bassplayrr: can you post a link to the doppler widget?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Serious.. 15MB's per widgit? yikes!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you don't use the widgets for a while, they do shutdown, because sometimes, you'll launch Dashboard and everything is reset again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
They only use ram when open, (Check activity monitor) Dial up slows them down a bit, takes a few seconds for them to update as most are only mini web pages.
The local 6 day weather forecast is great (nearest city in New Zealand) & I use a preview font text one the most.

Reaction score
On the technical aspects of it I'm lost, but I use them, not a waste, in my opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
My widgets don't take 15mb each. If Dashboard seems to be a waste to you, just don't use it. Simple as that.

C

code777

yeah i use the widgets all the time as well. especially the weather, tv guide, and calculator. i have a bunch more i use also but those 3 are always up and i use them everyday...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
IMO the Dashboard does hog resources a bit, at least Tiger feels slightly less snappy on my system than Panther did, but the added features are worth it to me at least.

I do try to keep the amount of active widgets down though... I keep Clock, Stickies, Weather, ShowOff & Wikipedia open...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i want to know why you must go into another screen mode just to see the temperature?

konfabulator > dasboard

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
IMO the Dashboard does hog resources a bit, at least Tiger feels slightly less snappy on my system than Panther did, but the added features are worth it to me at least.

I do try to keep the amount of active widgets down though... I keep Clock, Stickies, Weather, ShowOff & Wikipedia open...
What I'd like to know is what is "ShowOff"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
MacAddikt said:
i want to know why you must go into another screen mode just to see the temperature?

konfabulator > dasboard
I agree, some widgets are better on the desktop. That's why I downloaded Amnesty. It let's you run widgets on the desktop just K.

Reaction score
Remember, widgets are a new thing. As time goes on better and more useful ones will come up.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
schweb said:
My widgets don't take 15mb each. If Dashboard seems to be a waste to you, just don't use it. Simple as that.
I should probably retract my statement about 15mb each....they seem to be taking roughly 7-10mb each this time. And yes, I dont use Dashboard. I'm glad it's useful for others though.

torchy said:
They only use ram when open, (Check activity monitor)
Interesting. That doesnt seem to be the case for me. Screenshot taken when dashboard was NOt running. I'd be interested to find out if the claim above is the same for other users...if so, then there's something wrong with my Tiger installation
dashboard-mem.gif

asT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Underbelly said:
Remember, widgets are a new thing. As time goes on better and more useful ones will come up.

Hi
Likewise INAP
What I'd like to know is what is "ShowOff"?

kind regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.